Bandwidth Control & Guest Network No Longer Working After WDS on WR840N

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-10 22:43:28 - last edited 2021-03-12 16:58:28
Model: TL-WR840N  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 160406 Rel.40792n

Hi team,

I just made to repurpose my old router again for range extender/repeater mode connected to my new Archer C54 (on 2.4 ghz), WDS is perfectly working! However, when I enabled the bandwidth control and set up the rule list, engress and ingress et al, it just wouldn't limit the bandwidth, still getting the max. speed (however, when in Router and AP Modes, it just works as intended).

Additionally, on guest network, I couldn't connect as it is always stuck on 'obtaining IP address' and 'save' (again, Router and AP Modes are working normally).

Note: Password is correct!

So what could be the problem? May I also ask: Does the 'disabling of DHCP' (when executing WDS) 'be the culprit' from preventing to connect? 

PS: All connections are wireless, no wired.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Bandwidth Control & Guest Network No Longer Working After WDS on WR840N
2021-03-12 06:58:14 - last edited 2021-03-12 16:58:28

@Alopey 

Here's my theory:

Bandwidth control is applied on the WAN (Internet) port of the device (ethernet backhaul).

In WDS mode the device is using a wireless backhaul hence the bandwidth control is not applicable.

Guest network is separate from the main wireless network, so it needs a DHCP server to offer IP addresses of its clients.

In WDS mode DHCP server of extended router is disabled (IP addresses are offered via main router DHCP server) hence the guest network clients can't receive an IP address.

What I would try is to allow guests to access my local network to see if they can receive an IP address (just for an experiment):

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Bandwidth Control & Guest Network No Longer Working After WDS on WR840N
2021-03-12 17:14:43

@Ivaylo 

Nice!smiley  Thank you for your detailed explanation, that's what I'm also theorizing about the effects of disabling DHCP.

Now for your suggested 'experimentation' on guest network, yeah sure will definitely try it.yes

Will be back again and give feedback...

Cheers!wink

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 733

Replies: 2

Related Articles