Ethernet is significantly slower when Deco M5 is connected to the network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-13 14:59:36 - last edited 2021-03-13 16:30:47
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel. 66804

Hello

After recently having upgraded my internet to gigabit, I noticed that the speeds I was getting on devices connected via Ethernet were somewhat lacking. After a lot of back and forth, testing and controlling cables and trying different physical configurations I've come to the conclusion, that when my Deco M5 is connected to my network, my Ethernet speeds go down from about 950/950 Mbps to around 90/90 Mbps.

My standard setup is like this: My modem is connected to a router, which is then connected my main M5. The main M5 is connected to a switch which also holds Cat 6 cables to the different rooms throughout the house. One of those cables goes to my living room where I have yet another switch connecting my TV, PS4, second M5 unit and so forth to the network. The third M5 unit is connected via WiFi in the opposite end of the house.

With all the M5s unplugged and turned off everything is fine and my speeds are perfect, but as soon as they're on and connected and my modem and router has been restarted it's back to below 100.

I came across something about backhaul and looping, but I'm not sure i understood exactly what is was about.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Ethernet is significantly slower when Deco M5 is connected to the network-Solution
2021-03-13 15:41:59 - last edited 2021-03-13 16:30:47

@Sorenhogh 

It is almost as if you run Deco mesh in Router mode and it still uses old QoS configuration setting.

Either that, or your switch, the one connected to Main Deco, for some reason can't negotiate gigabit with Main Deco.

Three things I would suggest:

1. Double check in Deco app your mesh is in Access Point mode.

2. Connect something that has Ethernet port and gigabit network card, such as laptop, directly to the switch, the one that is connected to main M5, and run speedtest on laptop. That'll test speed of link between switch and M5.

3. If you've got 100Mbps from laptop connected to switch, unplug switch from M5 and connect laptop directly to second M5 port. Run speedtest again. If getting 100Mbps again, see what speed is reported on laptop for its Ethernet adapter - is it gigabit or 100Mpbs?

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Ethernet is significantly slower when Deco M5 is connected to the network
2021-03-13 15:22:24

@Sorenhogh 

Running Deco mesh in Access Point or in Router mode? 

What was your Internet speed before upgrade?

Try "Test Internet Speed" in Deco app. It'll run speedtest between Main Deco M5 and Internet. If you will get less than 100Mbps there, the problem is between Main Deco and Internet.

If you get speeds that are much better, the problem may be in Deco mesh settings (hint: check QoS settings if running in router mode) or between Main Deco and home network.

Options
2021-03-13 15:31:27

@Alexandre. 

I'm running my mesh in Access Point mode.

My internet speed before the upgrade was 100/100 Mbps and I was getting actual speeds comparable to what I'm getting now with my M5s connected.

The speedtest in the Deco App says upwards of 950 Mbps so the problem is in my configuration somewhere?

Options
Re:Ethernet is significantly slower when Deco M5 is connected to the network-Solution
2021-03-13 15:41:59 - last edited 2021-03-13 16:30:47

@Sorenhogh 

It is almost as if you run Deco mesh in Router mode and it still uses old QoS configuration setting.

Either that, or your switch, the one connected to Main Deco, for some reason can't negotiate gigabit with Main Deco.

Three things I would suggest:

1. Double check in Deco app your mesh is in Access Point mode.

2. Connect something that has Ethernet port and gigabit network card, such as laptop, directly to the switch, the one that is connected to main M5, and run speedtest on laptop. That'll test speed of link between switch and M5.

3. If you've got 100Mbps from laptop connected to switch, unplug switch from M5 and connect laptop directly to second M5 port. Run speedtest again. If getting 100Mbps again, see what speed is reported on laptop for its Ethernet adapter - is it gigabit or 100Mpbs?

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-13 16:30:32

@Alexandre. 

Thank you so much for helping out!

Everything looked fine when I tested the switch with my laptop, so I tried switching back and forth between Access Point and Router mode. This seems to have done the trick.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 708

Replies: 4

Related Articles