old firmware shell on the new AX50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-18 15:47:35
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Why is there an old firmware shell on the new AX50 model? Absolutely in all models of the AX line, the shell is new, it is much more thoughtful, and even on some AC devices the shell is also new.

Options
6 Reply
Re:old firmware shell on the new AX50
2021-03-18 15:56:15

@AndreiGavs 

Maybe because AX50 is the first (and possible also the last) Intel based router, so they must other GUI?

Options
2021-03-18 16:51:19

@ksuuk But what's the difference first, last. After all, we are talking about the shell. Appearance and nothing more. There is no more functionality in the new shell. It's just a better design, the headings are in bold, the buttons are drawn differently, and that's it. Why releasing a new router with Wi-Fi 6 and taking over the old, bad shell again? If the new one has already been drawn, you already know that it is more convenient, clearer, better. So why take as a basis what is initially bad?

Options
2021-03-18 17:15:06

@AndreiGavs 

Different CPU, different shell, different (api)calls = different GUI
Actually, if router works, I'd better manage it from CLI, but as TP-Link does not allow access the router via SSH, then any working GUI is fine by me.

After all, how often ordinary user, after first setup, manages router?

Options
2021-03-18 19:01:16

@ksuuk Often! This is the same basis. The face of the company. CLI and SSH mean nothing to the common man. But the USER Frendli interface is the main thing. I very often go to the settings of the router, because it is there that I see all the information in full. There I can connect a new user, give him certain permissions, enable FTP, eject a disk, etc. This is the foundation. It is the interface that distinguishes good companies from bad ones. This is what separates Apple from Android, this is what makes Synology the best in consumer NAS, and this is what FreeNAS is promoting. Because give us ZFS now but without FreeNas shell - 50% of users will leave! Because no one will need all the same functionality but with a console instead of a decent interface, a convenient shell. Only system administrators will remain. But Tplink went further, they cut down all the functionality on an equal footing with the interface! OneMesh has not yet been shipped to all devices. USB port terribly stupid: printers? No, he can’t. Modems? We decided that you don't need it. Transmission? No, this is superfluous. Wake up your computer over the network? It is fantastic. Prioritizing data? Well, we drew the check marks, but do not touch them, otherwise the speed will drop in half! Seriously? And this applies to the entire line of AX. And we are now talking about a consumer router, a device specifically for ordinary people. For such people, convenience, clarity and clarity are the main thing. And try on AX50 to see a list of clients from 50 devices. It hurts!

Options
2021-03-18 20:17:03 - last edited 2021-03-19 06:45:22

@AndreiGavs 

I feel Your pain. I'm also wondering, if for example 10 years old WiFi router with Open-Wrt software contain/can do almost everything and usually only the old hardware is the limit, then how come the new router with the modern hardware can not even handle the basic elements of the home WiFi network router, or include staff like cli access, syslog, snmp, bandwidth management, graphs, scripting, vlan -s, etc.

Open-Wrt have ported for some Tp-Link routers and they run very well with Open-Wrt. So the hardware is not the issue, just TP-Link software is pathetic. Seems, that TP-Link just keeps pushing out new routers, and ditching the old ones software development right awayinstead of making one low range, one mid range and one high range router with solid software. The software could also be modular. These who needs more stuff, can activate the software with all needed options. Or even more, software could be open source and I guess, that as the main TP-Link -s business is selling hardware, so if they are unable to make a proper software, then the community will make such and this will be the win-win situation.

Options
2021-03-19 06:04:22
Yes, it's awful. TPlink crashed its AX lineup due to software. It has a lot of glitches, bugs and the main problem is that the developers do not finalize it. Absolutely! For all requests, letters to the support service, the answer is one - "Thank you, we will think about it" and nothing! Not a single update for the AX50, not a single bug fixed. And this has already been done for more than six months. And on the beta firmware SSH they generally just shine on the Internet, come who wants to! And they know about it and still don't fix it. I have no idea what else a developer needs to do so that people understand that TPlink spits on its customers!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 981

Replies: 6

Related Articles