Votes

Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings

Votes

Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings

165 Reply
RE:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2 weeks ago

@pennypacker 

Yeah, I've said it before but for anyone else in this boat who's just waiting to buy their next non-tplink router, in the meantime probably your cheapest and quickest way to get pi-hole working on the guest and main networks is just to run 2 instances of pi-hole. For me that means 2 pi zeros, but if you have a server you could probably just set it up in a docker container on each network. The router let's you set a primary and secondary DNS server. Set the primary to your main pi-hole's ip and the secondary to the guest pi-hole's ip. This way your clients will all always be using pi-hole, just the instance that they can access. Your guests will probably try and fail to reach your main instance but they will have access to the secondary pi-hole. 

Options
Re:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
a week ago

@richpriest I too want this separate DNS for the guest network feature. I have internal DNS that I want to use for my internal network, but I don't want Guest clients to be able to access it. If I set 8.8.8.8 as the primary option, then I can't resolve my internal systems names cause obviously Google doesn't have my info.

Anyway, the only fix I found that solves it for me is to add my DNS server first and then add Google (8.8.8.8) as a secondary. This seems to allow my guests to access the internet and still allow my internal connection to resolve internal DNS names.  It does mean that they are still trying to use my internal server first and then once it fails it uses google.

Jim

Options
a week ago
have you ever tried cloudflare 1.1.1.2 or 8.8.8.8 have primary & secondary dns incase one fails you have secure & faster network . just suggestion tplink been doing this for years on there routers
Options
a week ago

I also want this separate DHCP/DNS for the guest network. Without this feature, the guest network is useless for me.

Options
RE:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
21 hours ago
Would help with pihole and having a guest network for the potential spyware devices like Wifi bulbs and cameras
Options

Voters 99

+ 95 Voters