Access Point Mode Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-31 16:27:06 - last edited 2021-04-07 07:30:54
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello there I hope you can help this is my first post! I recently set up 2 Deco M5 and 2 M9 Plus units in Access Point Mode as I want my new SKY Router to act as the Router not the main Deco M9 unit. On set up using the app it has asked me to create a network and I have done that, all Decos are now connected. I now see that if I try to connect any device to my internet I have 2 wifi options, the network name assigned by my SKY Router and the new Deco Network Ive created. Is this correct will the 2 exist side by side with each other? I understood that in APM it just boosts my existing wifi so Im not sure which one to connect to. Is the original ISP network generated by the router still active along with the same network boosted via DECO as a separate network? I could set the network name and passwords to be the same but ultimately does that mean that 2 seprarte networks will still exist. I though the whole point of using Access Point Mode over Router mode was that you didn't have 2 Mesh Networks competing with each other (especially with SKY and issues with connecting to miniboxes)  Many thanks I hope you can advise.    

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Access Point Mode Questions-Solution
2021-04-02 14:01:25 - last edited 2021-04-07 07:30:54

@CR71 
Hi there,

I have the same topology in my house. So here's what you can do

1) Router and Deco (access point)

The router will assign the IP address and everything, but Deco will create a Mesh Wi-Fi network. You'll have 2 WiFi networks, so you need to turn off Wi-FI in your main router

2) Router and Deco (router mode)

You can put your router in Bridge mode and Deco will be your only router, that will do everything including giving an IP address. This is what I have in my house.
I have router from ISP, but it's in Bridge mode and I use only Deco Wi-Fi

p.s I prefer 2nd methods, since Deco much better in everything, compare to my ISP router

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Access Point Mode Questions-Solution
2021-04-02 14:01:25 - last edited 2021-04-07 07:30:54

@CR71 
Hi there,

I have the same topology in my house. So here's what you can do

1) Router and Deco (access point)

The router will assign the IP address and everything, but Deco will create a Mesh Wi-Fi network. You'll have 2 WiFi networks, so you need to turn off Wi-FI in your main router

2) Router and Deco (router mode)

You can put your router in Bridge mode and Deco will be your only router, that will do everything including giving an IP address. This is what I have in my house.
I have router from ISP, but it's in Bridge mode and I use only Deco Wi-Fi

p.s I prefer 2nd methods, since Deco much better in everything, compare to my ISP router

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Access Point Mode Questions
2021-04-02 14:24:33

@Boriy thanks for replying, I will try the set up number 2 and use the Deco connected to my SKY Router by Ethernet as the main Router. I believe that there may be difficulties in setting a SKY Hub in Bridge Mode I will look into that further.

Many thanks looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me!    

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 541

Replies: 2

Related Articles