Issues using DDNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Issues using DDNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Issues using DDNS
Issues using DDNS
2021-04-01 10:35:42
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

Hope someone can help my set up my TP LINK DDNS. I have limited knowledge so any detailed responses would be highly appreciated.

My Equipment:

ISP: NOW Broadband

Router: NOW TV Hub Two (Manufacturer – Sky, Model – NR801

Deco: M5s

My Set Up:

Deco M5s

Operating mode – router

IPv4 – Dynamic IP

IPv6 – Disabled

NOW TV hub – Wireless Access Point disabled.

DHCP server enabled

One static IP Address for the main Deco m5

I am trying to set up a Dynamic DNS using the Deco Apps inbuilt service that provides a xxxx.tplinkdns.com address.

I have set up and activated this on the deco app. My understanding was that if I enter the address xxxx.tplinkdns.com in a browser from outside my network this would provide me access to the deco?

When I try to access using this address from outside my network it doesn’t connect to anything.

If I use this address from inside my network, it takes me to the admin page of my NOW TV Hub.

I obviously haven’t set something up correctly, but do not know what.

I have tried to disable the DHCP server of the NOW TV Hub, but that stopped any access to anything and I had to do a reset of the hub.

The reason I want to set up a DDNS is so that this can be used for my NAS.

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Issues using DDNS
2021-04-01 13:35:59 - last edited 2021-04-01 13:38:30

I'm assuming you are using a web-browser to access the tplinkdns.com link from outside your network.

This is basically asking your browser to say 'show me the webpage at this address". Your router is currently responding with the equivalent of "What webpage? There isn't one here except my admin area."

This means you'll need to perform something called 'Port Forwarding' on your Sky router, to tell the router that any requests for a webpage go to your NAS, which can then respond with "I have a webpage, it's this one" and show the NAS login page.

You will need:

- The login details for your Sky router (I assume you have these if you've fiddled with the DHCP server already)

- The internal IP address of your NAS (usually found in the NAS settings area, or you might be already using it to connect to the NAS internally. It'll be something like '192.168.1.xxx')

Then perform these steps:

- You'll need to log into the Sky router, locate the Port Forwarding section (see the associated manual if you can't find it: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/download-sky-broadband-user-manuals)

- Enter the external port (80 usually, but I'd advise against using this as it's a common port for trying out attacks, try a random number like 9000 and note it down for later)

- Enter the internal IP address of your NAS from earlier - Enter the internal port 80

- Save the changes

- Try connecting again from outside, but this time using: http://xxx.tplinkdns.com:9000

Options
Re:Issues using DDNS
2021-04-01 14:57:20

@richpriest 

Thanks for the quick (and detailed) response.

Just a quick question when setting up the port forwarding, the only device that shows up is main Deco (which is attached to the Sky router). 

The NAS is not showing up as connected to the Sky Hub. 

So I'm not sure how I would enter the details of the NAS in the SKY hub admin panel...

I am able to view the NAS through the Deco app only (I have used this to provide a static IP)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 777

Replies: 2

Related Articles