LAN Address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

LAN Address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
LAN Address
LAN Address
2021-04-01 13:14:05 - last edited 2021-04-01 13:15:08
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have purchased a M9 System that will be here in a few days.  I currently have a ISP provided router that has a multitude of port forwarding set up for cameras etc.  There is also a IP camera connected via a powerline plug on the network that I was thinking of connecting by Ethernet to a deco unit .  I also have a 2011 MacBook pro that only connects via WiFi if I separate the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz.  Therefore, I would like to keep this existing router in play.  With the Deco M9, would it be sensible to change the LAN address to match the existing router's or is it not possible to work this way?  By the way, I obviously have no way of knowing what hardware version is will be.

Options
6 Reply
Re:LAN Address
2021-04-01 15:47:41

@RG58 

If you are only buying Deco mesh for WiFi coverage, configure them to run in Access Point mode. It'll keep your ISP provided router in play and you'll avoid a lot of headaches.

Options
2021-04-01 17:04:04

@Alexandre. Thank you very much for the info.  It sounds ideal. I have tried all sorts of wi-fi extenders and old routers as access points in the past, and although I can get the coverage, it is in no way seemless on handover.  Hence why I am purchasing the Deco system.  

Options
2021-04-01 17:08:36

@RG58 

See below the corresponding setting, in smartphone Deco app. After you configured first Deco, which will be your Main Deco, change that setting as shown and add other Decos to your mesh afterwards.

Options
2021-04-01 18:17:48

@Alexandre. Thank you.  I appreciate your help.  Have you an opinion on leaving the original router's wifi transmitting?  I only ask in case my Macbook needs seperate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands as it does with Plusnet's Hub 1 router.  I assume that although the Deco does not allow for seperating the wifi bands, I would be able to use a wifi analyser app to see what channells it is transmitting on so I can change the router channels to stop any crossover on 2.4Ghz by only using channels 1, 6 or 11?

Options
2021-04-01 19:23:59

@RG58 

Deco does allow for separation of WiFi bands. It runs two WiFi networks: Main and Guest, you can use it to separate 5GHz from 2.4GHz on these two networks. This is what I did in my house, and turned off WiFi on ISP router as I no longer needed it.

My Deco app WiFi configuration settings screen:

Options
2021-04-01 19:35:56

@Alexandre. Oh good.  The inability to seperate the bands was just something I read online earlier today. Glad it's wrong.  Thanks for your help and I look forward to getting it and setting it all up next week.  Sounds straighforward now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 607

Replies: 6

Related Articles