Deco M9 as main unit gets worst performance than previous M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-06 14:03:56 - last edited 2021-04-12 19:39:43
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210126 Rel. 59387

Hi there. It’s my first time here!

I live in a 2,100 square feet apartment with a bunch of walls covered by mirrors and wallpapers. I always had a lot of trouble putting up a wireless network – and it never worked well.

Then I decided to purchase the 3 pack Deco M5 and I had a huge improvement! And all of the sudden there was good wi-fi signal in pretty much everywhere in my home. I have a 240-megabyte cable internet and now I was getting download rates between 50% and 60% of that value in the corners of the apartment. I was very happy.

My son’s desktop, on the other hand, had an issue that I couldn’t solve with the app… It wasn’t located far from the main Deco, but just far enough that the band kept being changed by the Deco constantly (5GHz to 2,4GHz and again to 5GHz…), causing the signal to drop momentarily… just enough so he couldn’t watch his online classes properly. There is no setting where you can determine a fixed band for a device… it should have, though… it would solve my problem.

So… I realized that the only way to solve this was to add a 4th Deco… and after some research I have decided that the M9 Plus was the one to choose, as it has more antennas, power, features etc. I was going to set the M9 Plus as the main Deco and the M5 would be the add-ons.

The very expensive M9 Plus arrived yesterday and, after setting it up I was extremely disappointed to notice that the surrounding M5s were distributing a slower speed… there were no improvement whatsoever – on the contrary, it got worse!

The M9 was set on the very same spot the M5 used to stay (the former main M5 went to my son’s room) and the others M5s remained put…

Question… is the M9 Plus adequate for the task? Should I have bought another M5? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Edited: The hardware version is V2. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M9 as main unit gets worst performance than previous M5-Solution
2021-04-12 19:30:35 - last edited 2021-04-12 19:39:43

Alexandre. wrote

@Elbetosan 

Not sure if redoing network could help, with setting M9 first, making it Main and adding M5s to it, but if you are out of options, you won't lose anything by trying.

Also, I should have asked you this before, what signal strength is reported under Signal Source by M5 when it is on in your son's room? This is what mine reports, as an example:

@Alexandre. I restored my entire wireless network and I actually noticed an improvement. The speeds delivered by the satellites are higher as pings are faster as they used to be.

Earlier when I had the 3 pack M5s, the signal between the nodes weren’t good, but the network was satisfactory – the only issue I had was my kid’s desktop… as you already know.

The M9+ didn’t improve the signal so I moved the satellite nodes closer, improving the network in a way, but not as it used to be with the 3 M5s with the nodes further apart…

Restoring the nodes to factory default and creating the network again helped and now I’m satisfied.

The signal was like this.

And improved with the repositioning.

But if you asked me… I would not buy a 4th node. I’d set the Mesh technology off from the desktop when it connected at 5GHz and it would simply stay that way… and I wouldn’t have to spent over US$ 190.00 on a Deco M9 here in Brazil… lesson learned.

I do have a problem – our PCs don’t seem to connect to Windows Update… I tried turning the parental control and the firewall off but we can’t get any Windows updates… I’ll create another post regarding this issue.

Thanks for your help. Take care.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M9 as main unit gets worst performance than previous M5
2021-04-06 15:50:04

@Elbetosan 

"There is no setting where you can determine a fixed band for a device… it should have, though… it would solve my problem."

Depending on type of device, it could be possible to force device use specific band. If it is Windows desktop or laptop or latest model Surface Pro tablet, its WiFi device driver may have the setting to force WiFi on 5GHz or on 2.4GHz only.

Also, it is possible to split 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands in Deco, by utilizing both Main and Guest networks. See screenshot below from my home Deco configuration. Devices I want to always stay on 5GHz I connect to Main Network, devices I need to use 2.4GHz I connect to Guest network.

Options
2021-04-06 17:54:00 - last edited 2021-04-06 17:54:55

Alexandre. wrote

@Elbetosan 

Depending on type of device, it could be possible to force device use specific band. If it is Windows desktop or laptop or latest model Surface Pro tablet, its WiFi device driver may have the setting to force WiFi on 5GHz or on 2.4GHz only.

Also, it is possible to split 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands in Deco, by utilizing both Main and Guest networks. See screenshot below from my home Deco configuration. Devices I want to always stay on 5GHz I connect to Main Network, devices I need to use 2.4GHz I connect to Guest network.

-------------- 

My son's computer is an old Windows desktop with a D-Link AC dual-band nano USB adapter. It's plug-and-play but even so I downloaded the D-Link application to see if there would be a way to keep it fixed at 5GHz, but there wasn't. That's why I bought another Deco.

I appreciate your solution but now that I have spent a good amount of money on the M9 Plus (they're expensive where I live), I kinda have to get it to work...

Cheers.

Options
2021-04-06 18:55:32 - last edited 2021-04-06 18:58:39

@Elbetosan 

I run Deco mesh which is a mix of M9 and M5, I think I may have useful suggestion for you to make your mesh work, if you decided to keep M9.

The mistake you made is to place new Satellite M5 (old Main Deco) in your son's room. I am assuming that Satellite M5 is connected to Main M9 by WiFi. Turn M5 in your son's room off for now (you may be able to reuse it later). If you need longer explanation why it is not the right place, just ask. I don't want to expand this my post, but can answer separately. This post is to offer steps "to make it work." 

Keep M9 as Main Deco, it is definitely better hardware and stronger WiFi signal. Keep M9 as Main especially if your son's computer connected to it - and it should, now that you turned off M5 in his room.

Another mistake you may be making is assumption that you need 5GHz for your son's online classes. In fact, 2.4GHz could be enough, even if classes stream in 4K (which I doubt), and because Deco M5 and especially M9 broadcast strong 2.4GHz signal, that could help to avoid interruptions vs. weaker and less reliable but faster 5GHz. 

I recommend to enable Guest Network on Deco, password protect it and configure it as 2.4GHz only, make your son's desktop Forget (in WiFi settings) Main Network and connect desktop to Guest network.

If all other devices are doing OK on Main Network, you won't even need to change Main Network to 5GHz only, keep it dual band.

Additionally, not very many dual band USB WiFi adapters truly do well with band steering. By connecting desktop to single band Guest Network you'll eliminate USB WiFi adapter possible quirks. 

Then, if desktop works fine with Guest Network on 2.4GHz, if you wish you could test if it can do well on 5GHz. Again, M9 delivers stronger WiFi signal than M5, proven in tests in my house, so it might do well with 5GHz in yours. To test, disable 2.4GHz on Guest Network and enable 5GHz on it. Once again, your Guest Network will be single band, now 5GHz, and desktop connected to it.

Perhaps, that will work, and if not - you can go back to running Guest Network on 2.4GHz.

Options
2021-04-06 19:07:23
All right, Alexandre. I'll do that tonight and I'll post the results later on. Thanks for your time.
Options
2021-04-06 20:07:56

@Alexandre. If you could explain why turning the M5 off would improve my network overall I'd appreciate it. I'd like to learn more about this. 

Options
2021-04-06 20:48:47 - last edited 2021-04-09 13:34:19

Elbetosan wrote

@Alexandre. If you could explain why turning the M5 off would improve my network overall I'd appreciate it. I'd like to learn more about this. 

@Elbetosan 

Turning off Satellite M5 in your son's room should improve his desktop network connectivity. 

Satellite Deco behaves like WiFi range extender. You can google "what is the best location for WiFi range extender" for very many articles on that topic, but this is quick summary:

----------Summary start

Satellite Deco must have good WiFi signal to Main Deco to work properly. If you place it in a room where signal from Main is already weak, Satellite Deco will not improve it. Yes, it'll broadcast strong signal to WiFi devices such as desktop in the same room, and desktop will report perfect WiFi connection. Yet, data will travel to Satellite M5 and, then, over weak unreliable WiFi link to Main Deco at very low speeds and with possible interruptions. Not the desired end result.

----------Summary end

The proper place for that Satellite M5 of yours is not in your son's room, but if you draw an imaginary line between Main Deco and desktop in his room - in the middle of that line. As close to that middle as possible. 

Objects that create interference must be considered, such as ceiling. For example, if your Main Deco is on the first floor, and his room is on opposite side of the house on the second floor, a good place for Satellite M5 could be under his room on first floor. Depends.

Finding good spot for a Satellite Deco could be challenge, that is why I suggested as a first step to establish a good baseline with configuration settings I suggested and M5 in his room turned off. After that, you can start moving M5 around to see at which place his desktop connectivity improves even further - or you might found you don't have to, and can reuse that M5 somewhere else in your house.

Options
2021-04-09 13:48:34

@Alexandre. 

I've turned down the node in my son's room but the overall performance hasn't improved. Pings are still slower and videos are still taking a little longer to start on apps like YouTube and Netflix. The speed does not come close to what the M5 provided. It is really weird.

I’ve set the mesh technology off of all my stationary devices, such as TVs and desktop computers, but it didn’t affect the results.

I have optimized the channels, but that hasn’t changed the outcome.

The firewall is on and I do have parent control set for some devices, but they where all there with the M5…

Firmware is up to date on all Decos.

I did set fast roaming on... I'll try turning it off later today...

Should I recreate the network? That’s the only thing I haven’t done. I’ve added the M9+ as a satellite and then set it as main Deco…

Or maybe there’s something wrong with the M9 Plus… it should at least have a range improvement when it replaced the M5, since it has twice the antennas, but it wasn’t...

Cheers.

Options
2021-04-09 15:34:20

@Elbetosan 

Yes, it is dissapointing. I have Deco M9/M5 mesh with M9 as Main node and M5 as one of satellites, I am quite pleased with their performance. The only thing different is I initially had 2-pack M9s and added M5 as Satellite later. 

Not sure if redoing network could help, with setting M9 first, making it Main and adding M5s to it, but if you are out of options, you won't lose anything by trying.

Now that you turned off M5 in your son's room, have you placed that M5 in the middle of imaginary line between his room and M9? Place M5 in the middle of that line, that might improve WiFi signal.

Have you tried connecting your son's computer to 2.4GHz WiFi only? That might improve quality of WiFi signal, even if could slow down speed somewhat.

Consider switching Deco mesh to Access Point mode for troubleshooting purpose, just to see that it is not misconfigured in router mode. You will lose Parental Controls and Antivirus, so if you need them you can change back Deco to its default Router mode after checking how Deco behaves in AP mode.

Finally, and that just came on a different conversation I had in this forum. It is possible that large contributing factor to issues with your son's computer is its USB WiFi adapter. To check this, bring "his" M5 back to his room, power it on, unplug USB WiFi adapter from your son's PC and connect computer to M5 by Ethernet cable. Yes, I know it is an opposite of what I suggested before, but let's cover all possibilities.

Also, I should have asked you this before, what signal strength is reported under Signal Source by M5 when it is on in your son's room? This is what mine reports, as an example:

Options
Re:Deco M9 as main unit gets worst performance than previous M5-Solution
2021-04-12 19:30:35 - last edited 2021-04-12 19:39:43

Alexandre. wrote

@Elbetosan 

@Alexandre. I restored my entire wireless network and I actually noticed an improvement. The speeds delivered by the satellites are higher as pings are faster as they used to be.

Earlier when I had the 3 pack M5s, the signal between the nodes weren’t good, but the network was satisfactory – the only issue I had was my kid’s desktop… as you already know.

The M9+ didn’t improve the signal so I moved the satellite nodes closer, improving the network in a way, but not as it used to be with the 3 M5s with the nodes further apart…

Restoring the nodes to factory default and creating the network again helped and now I’m satisfied.

The signal was like this.

And improved with the repositioning.

But if you asked me… I would not buy a 4th node. I’d set the Mesh technology off from the desktop when it connected at 5GHz and it would simply stay that way… and I wouldn’t have to spent over US$ 190.00 on a Deco M9 here in Brazil… lesson learned.

I do have a problem – our PCs don’t seem to connect to Windows Update… I tried turning the parental control and the firewall off but we can’t get any Windows updates… I’ll create another post regarding this issue.

Thanks for your help. Take care.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1075

Replies: 9