Is this a normal speed for Deco M5 router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-07 11:22:14
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.3, build 20210203, Rel. 68223

Hi,

running the Deco M3 (3 of them) as access points , 2 with ethernet backhaul, one wifi backhaul.

Wifi speeds are ok I guess (around 200-250 Mbit). But the interesting part is when I connect wired (ethernet) in one of the Deco's (disconnected all but one in order to do a "clean" test, the remaining one is connected wired to my router, a Linksys WRT1200AC). If I run iperf3 tests against my router via the Deco, I get at best around 600 Mbit/sec (fluctuates between 500 and 600). This is when I connect directly to the Deco. If I use the ethernet cable that connects the Deco to the router directly into my PC (where I am measuring from) I get around 900 Mbit (which is much closer to the specification of the Gigabit ports of the router). Any reason to why the Deco can not perform faster? Is there anything that can be done to push it ?

br

Kazze

Options
2 Reply
Re:Is this a normal speed for Deco M5 router?
2021-04-07 14:28:21 - last edited 2021-04-07 14:37:03

@Kazze 

Deco M5 should be able to do better. 

I have M5 with same hardware and firmware versions. It runs in AP mode.

For speed test, I am using Ookla speedtest app on Windows desktop, installed from Microsoft store.

My ISP router: Hitron CODA-4592.

My ISP connection is gigabit.

My network layout: over 10ft long Cat 5e cable from ISP router to gigabit switch TEG-S80g, another 10ft long Cat 5e cable from switch to Deco M5.

For tests, I have desktop connected either directly to switch by 1ft cable, or to Deco M5 by yet another 10ft Cat 5e cable.

Running speedtest on desktop connected to switch results in 940Mbps.

Running speedtest on desktop connected to M5 results in 850-920Mbps.

Things I noticed:

1) Deco M5 performed better with firmware 1.5.0: I could get consistent 920Mbps results on every speed test. With current 1.5.3 firmware speedtest results vary between 800-920Mbps.

2) It takes longer for Ookla speedtest app to reach max download speed when desktop connected through M5, that hasn't changed between firmware versions. Often it is up to 14-15 seconds to get to peak, just about when speedtest app ends its test. When desktop is connected directly to switch, Ookla app reaches max speed at under 7 seconds and stays at peak for the rest of the test.

Options
Re:Is this a normal speed for Deco M5 router?
2021-04-08 10:49:22

Thanks for your input!

I have a hard time to blame it on the hardware as well... tried the other "pucks" as well.. no difference there. It's a pity, I am actually considering to return them even though I kind of like them (overall for this price), the wifi speed can be debatable but the wired speed is a "no-brainer" if you ask me..

br

Kazze

Options