Deco M4 Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M4 Setup
Deco M4 Setup
2021-04-11 04:39:17
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I got confused when setup my deco m4..the 1st page in guidelines manual said had to connect the deco to unifi's router (black) while the router connect to TM's modem (white)..then on page 5, it mentioned, disconnect n remove old router (unifi's router) n connect the deco to TM's modem directly..as for now, i ignored that instruction n just continue connect the deco to router..but i have two my wifi connections now (from the old router n from the deco)..so let say if i disconnect/remove the Unifi's router, n connect the deco directly to TM's modem, will be no problem? Cuz if possible, i only want to have one wifi connection instead of two, also saving power usage (dont have plug on the old router anymore)

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Setup
2021-04-11 11:53:07

@Rahmat.A 

There is no harm in trying. Just follow what is said on page 5, make sure you power off Deco and old router before disconnecting them, and power on Deco after it is connected to modem.

If everything works, keep it. If Deco does not work in that configuration - undo changes by connecting old router back to modem and deco to old router.

If you had to undo changes and need to keep old router, login to it and turn off its WiFi. 

Options
2021-04-11 12:06:42

@Alexandre. 

Ok will try..thnks for reply

Options
2021-04-11 12:47:50 - last edited 2021-04-11 12:48:37

@Rahmat.A 

I can also explain logic behind guidelines.

For initial Deco setup, you need to connect Deco to working home network. Your unifi router provides working home network, so this is where Deco must be connected.

After initial setup, Deco by itself can provide working home network, making unifi router unnecessary. This is when you can remove old router and connect Deco directly to modem.

Of course, unifi router still can provide working home network, so if after connecting Deco directly to modem something does not work, it is safe to undo changes to home network by bringing unifi router back online and connecting it to modem. Your home network should start working again after that.

I am assuming it is your Internet provider that has given you Deco and guidelines manual. If this is correct, you can contact your Internet Provider Tech Support if following manual didn't work and you had to bring unifi router back online and reconnect it to modem. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 646

Replies: 3

Related Articles