Deco M5 - Middle one is the slowest

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-12 18:29:40
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

Hi!

I have three Deco M5's in my house. One is attached (by cable) to my router, in the stairwell on the first floor.

The second is connected wirelessly, straight above the first one, also in the stairwell but on the second floor.

The third is connected wirelessly too, straight above the second one, also in the stairwell but on the third flow.

The distance between the Deco M5's are about 2,5-3 meters.

The first one, on the first floor, works great: it reaches the maximum speed of 200 Mbps. 

The second one, on the second floor, works not so good: it reaches a speed of about 50 Mbps.

The third one, one the third floor, works great too: it reaches speeds of 150 Mbps.

I don't understand how the Deco on the first and third floor work great, but the one in the middle does not. I have tried resetting or reinstalling the Deco's and made sure that they are installed in the correct order, but the speeds remain the same. All three devices stand fully free and have no other electrical devices around them.

Does anyone have an idea of why the middle one can be slower than the other two? The one on the third floor is much further away from the cabled Deco M5 that is connected by cable, but still works a lot better than the one on the second floor.

Thank you in advance!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Middle one is the slowest
2021-04-12 19:42:19

@HarmH 

Have you checked to which Deco each of Decos is connected, and what is signal strength of their connections? If I to guess, one of the possibilities could be Deco on the second floor is connected to the Deco on the third floor instead of to Main Deco.

You can find the info to which Deco current Deco is connected and with what signal quality in Deco app. Here is an example from my Satellite Deco M5 connected wirelessly to Main Deco in the living room, and I named Main Deco "Living Room."

You should check Signal Source on both second and third floor Decos.

Also, and sorry if it sounds if I am trying to insult your intelligence, it is not so: even smart people occasinally make silly mistakes. Are you sure your mobile device you run speed tests on is connected to the Deco on the right floor, and are you sure that you have named Decos properly according to their placement? For example, if you named Deco "Second Floor" but placed it on the third floor, and Deco named "Third floor" is actually located on the second floor - that would explain this puzzle.

What I would suggest is to power off Deco which is on the third floor and see: A) Which Decos left online according to Deco app and B) if second floor Deco suddenly shows better speed test results. 

That one test will address all of the above possibilities.

Options
2021-04-12 20:01:50

@Alexandre. Thanks for your response!

Both Deco's are connected to the Deco on the first floor. So they are both connected to the same, but the one further away has better results. 

I tried unplugging the one on the third floor. Same results remain for the one on the 2nd floor.. very weird. So it is not the issue of naming them wrong.

When testing I am very sure I am connected to the correct one. The app then also tells me I am connected to that one. 

Options
2021-04-12 20:13:57

@HarmH 

To address the remote possibility of hardware issues with one of Decos, can you run two more tests:

1) Disable 2.4GHz in Deco app WiFi setup for Main Network (and for Guest Network if it is enabled), leave just 5GHz and re-run speed test with second floor Deco;

2) Power off second floor Deco, bring third floor Deco to the second floor, put it side by side with second floor Deco, power on third floor Deco from same electric outlet second floor Deco was connected to and re-run speedtest. While still keeping 2.4GHz turned off.

Finally, can you check Signal Source of both second floor Deco and third floor Deco? You haven't said how good or bad signal strength is.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 337

Replies: 3