Deco E4 and 8 port gigabit switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-13 11:50:15
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Hi All

Hoping someone can help

I have recently purchased a Deco E4 system and placed 3 units around the house.

Wifi works great and don't appear to have any dead spots

I do have some devices like a hue and hive hub which need a wired connection and will need sky in the future too!.

Can I add a TL-SG108E 8 port switch to a satellite unit and plug these devices into it?

Ideally the satellite switch will be in the attic with the hubs I need - Internet is virgin media with Super hub 3

Ideally a set up like this (Sorry for poor presentation!)

Can someone advise what I need to do please if it's possible

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco E4 and 8 port gigabit switch
2021-04-13 12:30:29 - last edited 2021-04-13 12:31:33

@iamshaky 

This should work just fine. Connect switch to one of available ports of Satellite Deco, and connect Playstation to switch to test that it works. It should. Then, plug everything else to switch you want to.

Options
2021-04-13 12:39:56

@Alexandre. 

Thank you so much for the prompt response

Will the primary Deco still act as a router as I do not want to lose the functionality

Thanks

Options
2021-04-13 13:06:15

@iamshaky 

I may have spoken too soon: your diagram should work just fine with any regular wired devices such as desktop, laptop, Roku, Android TV and Android set top box, printer, etc.

I am not familiar with Hive and Hue. For these I won't know, but if they work when connected to regular ISP router, they should work in your network diagram.

I sense your reluctance to just try: is it because you don't have 8-port switch and don't want to buy it unless you know it'll work? Then, you can test it without switch: your Satellite Deco has 2 Ethernet ports, you can connect up to two wired devices directly to Deco. If they work as supposed to, they will be working just fine when connected to same Deco through the switch.

If you want even more comprehensive test, use your second Satellite Deco with its 2 ports: in total, you could connect 4 wired devices to your two Satellite Decos to see if they all work together.

Options
2021-04-13 13:10:24

@Alexandre. 

Thanks

I have a switch and it is also a TP-Link.

I don't think I am reluctant to try - maybe just being cautious a little, and also working out where my switch would be best placed.

I will try with a spare device if I can find one....

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 818

Replies: 4

Related Articles