Deco M5 dropping connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-15 18:29:08
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.3 Build 20210203 68223

Hi I'm nearly at my wit's end with these Deco M5, after watching multiple YouTube videos saying how "brilliant" they are I decided to bite the bullet and get some, well my experience has been far from "brilliant". The first issue I had was that I couldnt use my ring doorbell with the mesh kit when ever I tried the delay was crazy and that was with having a M5 right next to the doorbell, next problem I encountered is that my devices will randomly lose connection no rhythm or reason just connection drop then I have to mess about to get them connected again. Also I don't get great phone signal at my house this is where VO WIFI is a god send as I can still get calls or at least I could when using my Bt router now if I try to make or receive a call the VO WIFI will work for a minute or 2 then it disconects me meaning I lose the phone call, I look on my phone and sure enough the VO WIFI logo has gone 2 minutes later it comes back I'll try the call again works for a minute or 2 then bam disconnected again. The final kick in the teeth for me is the fact I have a Deco disc in the downstairs utility room right next to my garden, yet when I'm in my garden the WiFi signal is pretty much non existent how can this be when I'm only about 10ft from the disc. I am seriously close to returning this item as from what I can tell it doesn't do what it says on the tin I'm starting to wonder now how many of those YouTube videos are actually real. I have checked and it's up to date with the latest firmware I have also checked the network optimization and that's all good. The one thing I do know is that I'm getting pretty hacked off with this now. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 dropping connection
2021-04-15 19:49:55 - last edited 2021-04-15 19:58:09

@13ondy 

You ask two-part question:

A) Are there real people who like Deco mesh in general and Deco M5 in particular?

B) What should I do with my Decos I can't seem to make work well, no matter what I try?

Answers to that question:

A) Yes. I am one of them.

B) You should return Decos and try WiFi mesh from different brand.

-----------------

The words of wisdom I could offer, based on my experience with Deco mesh and what I like about it, is what to look in next WiFi mesh you choose from a different brand.

1. Choose mesh with same hardware for main and satellite nodes

If I lose Main Deco node due to hardware failure, after warranty expires, I will not lose my mesh. I'll make one of Satellites my new Main and will buy an extra unit. While I am waiting for an extra unit to arrive, I'll have WiFi at home, at least in critical for me places.

Some mesh systems have dedicated primary node, which is different hardware than satellites. If you lose primary node in such mesh, all your mesh is down till you can get a replacement, if you can get a replacement.

2. Choose mesh that is easily expandable and for which additional individual units are available

Not every brand offers that, and it is important if you plan to expand your mesh later or need to replace failed unit.

This is based on personal experience: I started with Deco two-pack, added M5 later as third node in my office, and plan to add fourth node, also M5, in my workshop when I'll start using it again. Seamlessly doubling Deco mesh hardware units in my house.

3. Don't fall for WiFi 6

Unless you need gigabit speeds on mobile devices, really, really need. WiFi 6 is, currently, overpriced. Meanwhile, there is already WiFi 6e. 

4. Choose mesh where there is an option to separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands

Just like you can do that with Deco, even if not in the most elegant way. Helps a lot with some types of hardware, such as security cameras, that can't handle dual-band.

5. Get mesh that can run in Router mode and in simple Access Point mode

This could be my personal preference, but it gives flexibility in deployment and helps with troubleshooting. 

I like everything about my ISP router except its weak WiFi signal. I configured my home network, via ISP router, the way I want. So, I let it continue manage my network. I use Deco mesh, in Access Point mode, to deliver strong WiFi signal all over the house.

6. Always buy mesh from places with reasonably long and simple return policy.

Mesh systems are hit and miss: what works for others might not work for you. You already know that, but just emphasizing the point of having return policy on networking gear.

Options
Re:Deco M5 dropping connection
2021-04-15 20:17:20

@Alexandre. Thanks for your reply, your information is very useful thank you. 

I apologise if I sounded rude I didn't mean for it to come across like that I'm just so frustrated as I really thought these would have been perfect Ive had them since December and I have looked through the forum at fixes etc but I'm just not getting anywhere and if anything the problems are actually getting worse.

Again sorry if I came across as being rude.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1005

Replies: 2

Related Articles