TL-WA801ND as Universal Repeater seems not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-26 07:18:52 - last edited 2021-04-26 07:48:23
Model: TL-WA801ND  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.13.20 Build 120524 Rel.70125n

Hi all,

I would like to extend my wireless signal at home.

I have one TL-WA801ND directly wired connected to my router, at floor zero.

I have another TL-WA801ND at floor 1: I have just configured it as "UNIVERSAL REPEATER" but honestly it doesn't seems extending.

Indeed I don't even think anyone actually connect to it...

Even if I'm close to it, I see

Current Connected Wireless Stations numbers: 0

More, if I go really really close to it, the signal does not increase...

it seems I'm still connected to the main AP at floor zero

The signal arrives at TL-WA801ND, floor 1, at about 65dBm , then it doesn't seem so bad...

Until now, I used this device as Access Point, with its own SSID, but now I would like to avoid 2 SSID trying to use it as a Repeater

DHCP disabled on the "universal repeater" device at floor 1 (as well as on the AP near the router, my only DHCP Server is the router)

What I'm doing wrong?

Attached some screenshots of my config

thanks to all

mf

Options
10 Reply
Re:TL-WA801ND as Universal Repeater seems not working
2021-04-27 22:48:30

@mfran2002 

Try WDS Repeater mode insted Universal Repeater mode and see if that helps.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-04-28 07:29:50

@terziyski 

Hi, test tried, but worst than before

crying

it seems I join the floor zero AP, if I go very close to the "repeater", the signal is really weak

should I set something onto the Root AP? some setting to do?

thanks

Options
2021-04-28 08:33:39 - last edited 2021-04-30 06:31:35

@mfran2002 

Unfortunately either the distance between the APs is too long or the obstacles/appliances between them causing the wireless signal fading.

If cabling is possible it would be better to set the device in AP mode and connect to the closest device (the router or the other AP) by cable.

Here some tips:

Set wireless mode as:

Here some tips:

• Halfway is the best way.Generally, the ideal location for a repeater is about halfway between your wireless router and your wireless clients and make sure that the location you choose is within the range of the host router. If that is not possible, place it closer to your wireless router to ensure stable performance.

• Less obstacles ensure better performance.Choose a location with less obstacles around that may block the signal between the access point and the host network. An open corridor or a spacious location is ideal.

• Less interference provides more stability.Choose a location away from Bluetooth devices and other household electronics, such as cordless phones, microwaves, and baby monitors to minimize signal interference

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-04-28 09:19:58 - last edited 2021-04-28 13:48:45

Hi terzisky, thank you for your suggestions

yes, now I set it up as AP, but this way I have two different SSID, one per floor...

and both my kids hugely struggle me about this, since they have to switch between those two SSID every time they change floor...

:-/

btw, setting them as two AP is good, but I would prefer to set one of them as a repeater, this way I have only one SSID at home

about the distance/obstacles: the signal from the ground floor arrives at -65dBm at the repeater at floor 1, then not so bad, right?

my main question is: why, approaching the repeater and going very close to it, the signal become weaker and weaker?

why does it seems I join the AP at ground floor instead of the repeater so close to me?

Options
2021-04-29 00:22:45

@mfran2002 

What if you set the floor 1 device as AP and its SSID the same as the ground floor's AP SSID.

Options
2021-04-29 18:04:14 - last edited 2021-04-29 18:08:09

I tried that suggestion just before trying the floor 1 as a repeater

unfortunately, since tablet and smartphone are not so clever to automatically switch between SSID depending on their signal strength, I had to leave this way...

indeed it happened that, moving from floors, the smartphone/tablet remained joined to the starting floor until you forced switching manually...

Options
2021-04-29 22:30:20

@mfran2002 

Update both APs FW to the latest one available and see if that will improve the operation in wireless repeater mode.

Options
2021-04-30 06:19:12 - last edited 2021-04-30 06:24:03

@terziyski 

will do and let you know!

then do you think what I've done is the correct procedure for what I need (extend my wireless signal to floor 1 with the same SSID)?

thanks

Options
2021-04-30 06:25:57 - last edited 2021-04-30 09:14:46

@mfran2002 

You're doing it just right. For the latest FW just click on the blue text in my previous post and you'll be redirected to the FW page for your AP.

Observe the HW version of APs - the FW should correspond to that.

Make a backup of all your specific settings in case they are lost after FW upgrade.

Options
2021-04-30 07:07:40 - last edited 2021-04-30 08:04:34

perfect, downloaded both right now (same models but two different HW, v2 and v4)

I've seen that settings might be lost, then I have backed up my config for both devices

let you know asap

thank you

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1109

Replies: 10

Related Articles