Help with Wifi extender H5E Hybrid wifi extender?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-30 18:54:49 - last edited 2021-05-02 19:04:11
Model: TL-WDR3600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi all,
Hoping some one has a better idea of what this thing is than I do...

So, recently brought this hybrid kit router (TL_WDR3600) and Hybrid wifi extender (AV500 H5E(EU)V.1.
The router has had the dd-wrt firmware added to it. Which I'm quite happy with.

However it means that the WPS switch has no function on the router other than to hard reset it. Which I only figured out after following the WPS setup instruction. A bit frustrating. But I figure not the end of the world, surely I can set it up manually? Apparently not. After 10+ hours of attempts just to connect to the wifi extender I find out its admin page options are some what limiting. So I can't create a wifi name or password on the extender manually through its admin pages? Seems a little odd...
I already have a 4220 powerline kit with 2 wif plugs and 2 wired plugs. Using the TP-Link PLC Utility I can connect this extender to the already existing powerline adapter network which allows it to share the powerline network and I can use wired connections on the wifi extender adapter, however that still doesn't help with the wifi?
It shows it has it's default wifi service running, however I have no way of connecting to it as it doesn't appear to have a default wifi password card,not that I can find at least???
Its built in admin page has no way of setting the wifi name or password?

I'm surprised it can connect to the powerline network as it is, as I was under the impression that it was just a wifi extender not powerline compatible? Hence the thought of possibly changing the firmware for a 4220 one as it does seem to function in a similar way but with the added functionalities removed? So is that just simplified firmware or is there a hardware difference to?

Is there any other way I can set this extender up manually?

Is there a new firmware I can install on this extender so I can edit the wifi settings manually?

Would it be possible to, say, try installing a 4220 firmware instead?

Also is there a download for the original firmware for this thing? (For the life of me I can't find one...)!

This has been a some what frustrating trip around google, reading the documentation I have, and scanning this website and anything else I can find. There is surprisingly little information I can find about this kit... Any help appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 1 - So,as an additional, I have tried to connect the H5E hybrid wifi extender to a Gigacube which is supposed to support WPS connections. It gets absolutely nothing... Press the WPS button on the router, press the button on the extender. Wait 2+ mins, etc... The extender just goes back to showing its default wifi name and does not appear to connect to the router or swap WPS information. I am unable to log into the extender through wifi in any way. If I connect to it through the TP-Link Plc software I can link to it but can't change any wifi details, just the default admin password... Nice and all but a bit useless...

Update 2 - Okay - so that didn't work.... refuses the flash files lol.Go figure!

I one step away from just flashing this thing with a wpa4220 default firmware and seeing what happens myself! Worst case scenario at this point is it doesn't work. And seeing as I can't get it to work any way, its only one step away from being put in the bin anyway!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Help with Wifi extender H5E Hybrid wifi extender?
2021-05-03 19:58:36

So far:

I reverted back to original Firmware on the router. 
Tried to pair with the extender using the wps buttons. Get blink leds for 2 mins or so but nothing seems to happen.
Rinse and repeat a few times just to make sure....

Tried to pair using the WPS settings menu from within the router admin pages. Add new device by pressing button... blinking leds but fails to connected!
Same again,rinse and repeat a few times just to make sure....

Upgrade to latest stock firmware and tried all of the above again... No joy - fails to connect.

Tried it with the devices linked by network cable and no network cable.
Even checked the network cable - its fine!
No joy...

Tried linking it with the TP-Link PLC software installed on pc, finds the extender. reset to factory settings, checked it's not in power saving, etc....
Still nothing! As a wired power line adapter it works fine, but as a wireless extender nothing! I can't get it to connect to the WPS, so it won't auto config at all! 
I'm just getting its default TP_Link 12345 ssid broadcast name every time... reboot it and turn it off and on again... nothing changes!

I'm pretty sure I've exhausted all options here?

Its wifi appears to be functional. Its hardware appears to be functional. Up to the point of actually extending wifi! For the life of me I cant get its WPS function to work.
I've tried it on this routers stock original firmware, an upgraded router firmware, and a completely different router, all with WPS enabled and functioning. But this extender just will not connect to the WPS...?

-Sigh- this is just silly! Why would anyone release an extender that hasn't got the capability to be manually updated and instead relying on the WPS feature!!! 
I'm honestly at a complete loss here. It makes no sense.

And how come I can find released updated firmware for this router, but can I find any firmware for this extender? Apart from belonging to this H5 Kit it may as well not exist.
What a waste.... :/

Options
2021-05-07 09:35:40

@Jerubaal Hello, 

Thank you for your effort to do so much troubleshooting ~ I could not find the firmware for the H5R  (WDR3600 )& H5E either on official website probably because its an old model.  Please check the bottom label of on Main router, model should be H5R (AV500 Hybrid Wi-Fi Dual Band Router)

Can you confirm if you are pressing the AP/ Pair button on the router, and also the Pair bottom on the bottom of your powerline extender.

If so I think you have run out of the troubleshooting. 

As a suggestion, ifH5E never pair with the router, you could keep it and use it as an AP one day..   Router--<Ethernet cable > ---H5E (wireless AP). 

Options
2021-05-07 10:49:00

@Solla-topee 

Yeh, I can guarantee I've tried the switches properly. The one on the back of the router and the one on the plug extender. 
I have had to try many times with the various testings and firmware updates on the router. Plus testing by using the router admin page and selecting the add new device option over WPS. I've physically seen the leds flashing to show that there is activity- or atlest expected activity! But yeah, nothingactually happens. Both devices flash their respective Leds for 2 mins and then nothing. The router admin page just says 'faied to connect to device', and no further information is available.

I did manage to find an updated firmware for the router. But still nothing for the extender! I have manged to get it to function as a wired access point using the already existing TP-link powerline network and that does at least work. But yeah, as for the wifi on this extender I think I've exhausted all possibilities at this time! Shame.

Thanks for the reply. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 546

Replies: 3

Related Articles