can i split TP-Link Deco M4 over other networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-07 09:34:01 - last edited 2021-05-07 18:41:48
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 rel 74289

Hi,

Totally amazed !!   Not only does it work flawlessly and instantly setup but it also replaced an older 3 base Orbi system with full bars everywhere!!!

why surprised ?  this is in an old sprawling building with real brick walls , staircase and strip lighting.

Now here is the rub, i only needed 2 of the 3 pack. Sooooo,  can i take the third home and use it at home?   if i a short of coverage anywhere then can i just buy a single add on?

anyone else tried this?

thanks

Simon.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:can i split TP-Link Deco M4 over other networks-Solution
2021-05-07 13:42:00 - last edited 2021-05-07 18:41:48

@iBridge 

Yes, you can take Deco unit out of the network and reuse it somewhere else. You will need to Remove it, in Deco app, that should reset this unit. Then, take it to a different place, create new network in Deco app and make this unit Main Deco of a new network.

You can also add Deco units to existent network. I started with 2-pack Deco M9, added M5 to them and plan to add one more M5 later. Use Deco app to add units to your network, the process is quite simple. 

I am not sure TP-Link sells single M4 units, but they sell single M5 and those are similar in performance and specs to M4. It is OK to mix them in same network.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:can i split TP-Link Deco M4 over other networks-Solution
2021-05-07 13:42:00 - last edited 2021-05-07 18:41:48

@iBridge 

Yes, you can take Deco unit out of the network and reuse it somewhere else. You will need to Remove it, in Deco app, that should reset this unit. Then, take it to a different place, create new network in Deco app and make this unit Main Deco of a new network.

You can also add Deco units to existent network. I started with 2-pack Deco M9, added M5 to them and plan to add one more M5 later. Use Deco app to add units to your network, the process is quite simple. 

I am not sure TP-Link sells single M4 units, but they sell single M5 and those are similar in performance and specs to M4. It is OK to mix them in same network.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:can i split TP-Link Deco M4 over other networks
2021-05-07 16:17:19

@iBridge    thanks.

yeah i thought so,  I have not added it to any network yet but will also do another reset before i try it at home this weekend.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1556

Replies: 2