OC200 going offline and online 100 times a day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-13 18:46:25 - last edited 2021-05-24 07:45:37
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8.0 20210406 58757

Hello Forum,

I have a really annoying problem with one of my about 25 OC200's.

About 100 times a day I get a push notification to my phone that the controller went offline and about 30-60 seconds after that it comes back online.

I swapped nearly every bit of networking hardware: the modem is new (the ISP tested the connection, too - everything is fine), the router, switch and also the OC200 is a new one because the first one had that problem. 

Everything was resetted and reconfigured twice without changes regarding my problem.

I also looked up the problem here in the forum and tried changing to DHCP instead of static IP, updated the firmware, changed the port on the switch and the router, got new cables, tried about 10 different power supplies and also PoE with the switch.

Every client in the network is fine and gets connection to the internet and testing the connection during the "offline-period" show that the connection is fine.

Are there any ways to fix the problem I haven't tried yet?

Thank you for your help and maybe also TP-Link could reply to that..

Best regards,

Lucas

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OC200 going offline and online 100 times a day-Solution
2021-05-21 16:10:31 - last edited 2021-05-24 07:45:37

@Fae the dual stack connection works with IPv6 and everything with IPv4 is routed trough it with a tunnel. Dual stack connections are used by ISPs working with coaxial cables. They give every user a personal IPv6 but not an IPv4. They pack about 20-30 customers with different IPv6s together to a single IPv4 which is then routed to the internet.

So you can use IPv4 and IPv6 in your connection and if you have a small private network with just a Modem/Router and some Clients it's just fine. But if you need lets say VPN or other services depending on IPv4 you have a problem because you cant access your network with IPv4.

I just fixed the problem calling my ISP asking for a private IPv4 address. As soon as they gave me my own IPv4 everthing is fine and my OC200 doesnt sent the offline message every 15 minutes. It seems, the Omada Cloud couldnt communicate to the OC200 correctly when there is only a IPv6 or a dual stack connection.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Lucas

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:OC200 going offline and online 100 times a day
2021-05-14 10:21:18

Dear @itundmediafulda,

itundmediafulda wrote

I have a really annoying problem with one of my about 25 OC200's.

About 100 times a day I get a push notification to my phone that the controller went offline and about 30-60 seconds after that it comes back online.

So only one specific OC200 has the frequently offline issue, is that right?

May I know the S/N and the MAC address of that OC200(printed on the device label)?

For the case, you may replace the "faulty" OC200 with a spare OC200 if there is one for comparison test and verify if it's the device's fault.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-05-14 15:48:40

@Fae Hello,

thank you for your reply!

Yes, it is only one OC200 that has this problem. All the other ones are fine.

I will provide you the information you need via private message.

I have replaced the "faulty" OC200 twice. All have the same problem.

Options
2021-05-17 02:55:25

Dear @itundmediafulda,

itundmediafulda wrote

I have replaced the "faulty" OC200 twice. All have the same problem.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, do you mean that all the OC200 you replaced with have the same problem, which means the problem seems to exist on the specific location/network?

If it is the case, please hardwire a PC to the 2nd Ethernet port on the OC200, try to continuously ping the external IP (for example, ping 8.8.8.8 -t) on the PC, confirm if the ping result is okay all the time, please record the ping test results for checking.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-05-17 17:23:25

@Fae All of the OC200s I tested in this network have the same problem.

Today I tried connecting my laptop to the second port, pinging 8.8.8.8 constantly and downloading 10 GB, the connection was fine when my Omada-App told me, the controller is offline. The download was stable and while being "offline" the ping was also ok. No problems in this time.

I installed a new manageable switch to have a look what's going on in the network. There are only 6 EAP225s installed, nothing more. I also checked every cable without any problems.

What URL/service has to be received by the OC200? Can I try this with a laptop?

I found out, the internet connection in this house is different to all the other ones, where the OC200s work fine. All houses have a IPv4-connection. The house with the faulty OC200 has a coaxial Dual-Stack-Connection which means it's only public IPv6 and a virtual IPv4 address. Do you thing this has something to do with the problem?

Thank you again!

Options
2021-05-18 09:13:09

Dear @itundmediafulda,

itundmediafulda wrote

I found out, the internet connection in this house is different to all the other ones, where the OC200s work fine. All houses have a IPv4-connection. The house with the faulty OC200 has a coaxial Dual-Stack-Connection which means it's only public IPv6 and a virtual IPv4 address. Do you thing this has something to do with the problem?

I'm not quite familiar with the coaxial dual-stack connection, could you please provide more detailed information about it?

If possible, please try capturing the packets of the OC200 during there are notifications about the controller offline.

To capture the packets, you may configure Port Mirror on your managed switch that is connected to the OC200 first.

Options
Re:OC200 going offline and online 100 times a day-Solution
2021-05-21 16:10:31 - last edited 2021-05-24 07:45:37

@Fae the dual stack connection works with IPv6 and everything with IPv4 is routed trough it with a tunnel. Dual stack connections are used by ISPs working with coaxial cables. They give every user a personal IPv6 but not an IPv4. They pack about 20-30 customers with different IPv6s together to a single IPv4 which is then routed to the internet.

So you can use IPv4 and IPv6 in your connection and if you have a small private network with just a Modem/Router and some Clients it's just fine. But if you need lets say VPN or other services depending on IPv4 you have a problem because you cant access your network with IPv4.

I just fixed the problem calling my ISP asking for a private IPv4 address. As soon as they gave me my own IPv4 everthing is fine and my OC200 doesnt sent the offline message every 15 minutes. It seems, the Omada Cloud couldnt communicate to the OC200 correctly when there is only a IPv6 or a dual stack connection.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Lucas

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-05-24 07:45:23

Dear @itundmediafulda,

itundmediafulda wrote

Thank you for sharing the information about the dual stack connection. Glad to hear that the problem was resolved finally.

So a single IPv4 address could be used by multiple users in your connection, which may make public IP address mapping involving IPv4 get into trouble and lead the communication between the Omada Cloud and controller to fail frequently.

Options
2022-02-20 14:29:09

UPC/T-Mobile's new customers get dual-stack like described, maybe depending on country, but in general one has to request specifically pure ipv4 if one wants to be reachable over ipv4 (port forwarding is the issue we speak about). T-Mobile also uses proxy for their mobile connections, meaning that the public ip is again a shared one and no port-forwarding would work (proxy). To resolve this issue on mobile connections, at least for t-mobile/Magenta, one has only to change the APN to the one which does not use proxy, then own ip address is received and port forwarding logically reaches the its destination, tested and working.

My workaround for dual-stack and UPC was with wireguard (should work with any way of proper routing, does not need to be vpn), I could reach ipv6 over ipv4, where all my devices communicate encrypted (locally too), ports required for omada are then simply forwarded from one peer to another, with that problem from user above would be resolved, you can test it easily by setting up a some cheap server with ipv4 and ipv6.

This is quite common issue, together with the fact that UPC/T-Mobile routers are delivered in router mode, again, not sure about all countries, but to run it in bridged mode may require additional call/registration, simply because they do not have enough ipv4 addresses. I guess best is you get in contact with those providers in name of tplink if you need more info about their backend's.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1501

Replies: 8

Related Articles