Archer C6 - Access Point mode - request info

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-15 06:51:54

Hi All, i'm trying to set up a network in a big house.

I have a Cable Router Fritzbox 1 Mb with a wifi network.

I have 5 Archer C6 wired connected in this way: router - switch1-archerC6_1-Switch2-ArcherC6_2-Switch3-ArcherC6_3 till ArcherC6_5

I have internet connection in all the house but I have 10 SSIDs ( 5x2,4 + 5x5G ) + the wifi of the Fritz box.

I want to have in the whole hause 1 Wifi Network ( also the wifi of the fritzbox is ok ).

I try to set up all the Archers in Access Point Mode but i think i don't have undestand how this mode work.

how to solve this?

Many Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C6 - Access Point mode - request info
2021-05-15 23:57:09

@StefanoZen 

Here's the difference between router and AP mode.

In your case with C6 you need to use this scenario.

Thus any device connected to a specific C6 will be in the same local subnet.

As for wireless SSID you can have only 1 by setting all C6 devices with the same SSID for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band.

But I wouldn't recommend that since you'll never know to which AP and wireless band you are connected at any particular moment in time.

This is important when troubleshooting and at least because 2.4 and 5 GHz bands have different bandwidth.

Also C6 in AP mode won't provide seamless roaming when moving around the house and you might need to select a closer C6 device (with better wireless signal) manually.

I would name the SSID for example with the name of the room in which it is positioned and add '_5G' to the 5 GHz SSIDs name.

You have to decide which approach is best in your case.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-05-16 05:29:56

@terziyski Thanks!

so if I have understand, I have only to rename all the SSIDs, maybe 1 name for the 5 2,4 and 1 name for the 5 5G.

but You said that maybe a Phone can't be able to switch to the best wireless when moving around the house ?

is an Hardware problem, i mean isn?t the C6 the right product or what?

I will try soon!

Thanks

Stefano

Options
2021-05-16 13:38:25

@StefanoZen 

Actually you can use only 1 SSD for both bands on every C6 as I posted:

" As for wireless SSIDs you can have only 1 by setting all C6 devices with the same SSID for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band. ".

As for the seamless roaming when moving around the house there are mesh network technologies like OneMesh and Deco.

Check this post for detailed info. You may find this story useful too.

That's more a hardware limitation than a hardware problem.

Despite this limitation you can go ahead and configure your C6s in AP mode as you intended.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-05-17 06:26:48

@terziyski Many Thanks!

So i make 1 SSID for all 5 router, with the same password.

For an Eventually Guest WiFi ? is the same? I mean in every router same name for guest wifi ?

There is a better way for cover a big house with WiFi? I also try with Deco and with other wifi repeater but after the second repeater the signal is alway very bad, so i decide to setup a wired connection. Maybe instead of 5 router  can I use 5 wired repeater ?

Thanks for your help!

Stefano

Options
2021-05-17 12:21:20

@StefanoZen 

Yes, for guest wireless network is the same.

Since you've already tried with DECO and wi-fi repeaters and If you already bought the hardware (switches and C6  routers) then go ahead with this setup.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1140

Replies: 5