WDR-4300 Problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WDR-4300 Problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WDR-4300 Problems
WDR-4300 Problems
2013-03-03 19:01:42
Region : Australia

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've noticed two problems with the latest firmware for the 4300. Can anyone confirm or fix?

1. Daylight saving mode does not work. If you try and set the DST for Australia Starts on Apr 7 and finishes on Oct 6 you can't it does not allow 7th april. You basically can't set DST for any southern hemisphere cities.

2. The DHCP Client's list does not show all connected hosts even after a refresh. I have a couple of devices that are there and online but the page does not show them.
Options
6 Reply
Re:WDR-4300 Problems
2013-03-03 20:56:53
As to the second one, I know that the DHCP list will only show the device that get the IP address from the router by using DHCP, if they have a static IP, the router won't show them. In that case, you may try to use a dynamic IP on those devices.
Options
2013-03-09 06:56:55
Yes, realise that about static IP, however, that's not the case. I have a DHCP address reservation set up for my printer, I point the printer MAC address to 192.168.1.115. I can open my browser and browse to the printer (to see the printer's status page). Everything works fine but if I go to the DHCP Client's List page on the router it does not appear while other permanent reservations that I have setup do. Refresh does not help either.
Options
2013-03-18 17:17:40
I agree with the Daylight savings issue above. Also why can't I assign a static IP without having to remember the mac address. Other routers let me pick from a list of DHCP clients and also allow me to assign a name to them as well. This would be useful when setting up Parental controls for different kids PCs
Options
2013-04-04 17:20:52
To set the daylight savings date you have to choose Apr-1st-Sun-2am, that is the 1st Sunday in April which is the 7th. I also got confused but then it clicked.....
Options
2013-04-30 22:19:43

paulmerrill wrote

Yes, realise that about static IP, however, that's not the case. I have a DHCP address reservation set up for my printer, I point the printer MAC address to 192.168.1.115. I can open my browser and browse to the printer (to see the printer's status page). Everything works fine but if I go to the DHCP Client's List page on the router it does not appear while other permanent reservations that I have setup do. Refresh does not help either.

A static ip is when the computer ( or other device) says to your tl-wdr4300... “Hi there, my name is 192.168.X.Y” but a reservation is when your tl-wdr4300 says, “yes, I remember this computer/ devices mac address & this is your ( special) number” i.e. the first example does NOT use DHCP and hence is not on the list of DHCP accorded devices.

This is not totally a bad thing but if it is causing you to stress then just reset the printers static ip to obtain ip automatically ( keep the gateway) and then the printer should appear in your DHCP list.

If it helps then think of it as your son invites his friend other to sleep at your house... the friend has access to your stuff ( like games & tv) but is not necessarily under the same restrictions ( like a bed time).
Options
2013-05-13 14:37:16
Remember that the DHCP lease database is probably lost on a router reboot.

So imagine your DHCP leasetime is set to 2 hours or whatever the default is .... (I always set 2 hr's)

1: Device boots , contacts router and gets an ip lease of 2 hours (meaning it has permission to use the ip for 2 hours).
2: You reboot the router just after the device has gotten its lease , and now the router DHCP database is lost ....
3: The device still has 1h,50min leasetime left and doesn't contact the router to renew the lease (they usually renew on lease half time)
4: Now you have the mentioned situation

The device have a valid lease , and the router doesn't know about it.

One solution ought to be.. To reboot the device , as it ought to contact the DHCP server to obtain a new lease.

But ... If the router is rebooted ...
In theory the switchport should disconnect the device ... ethernet heartbeat or wifi lost.
And that ought to trigger a new DHCP request , as the link should be down for a short time.

I don't know if the cable heartbeat is lost on a reboot , it depends on the 4-port switch chip behaviour.

But a wireless connection (where the link IS lost) shuld renegotiate a new DHCP lease , and be visible in the router.

/Bingo
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 718

Replies: 6

Related Articles