Deco M9+ adding a WD NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9+ adding a WD NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M9+ adding a WD NAS
Deco M9+ adding a WD NAS
2021-05-20 13:36:51 - last edited 2021-05-21 02:40:47
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 2.6.3

Coming at this with no networking experience

Have set up my Deco wifi network and really happy with it

Now trying to add my NAS, it's an older model WD MyWorldBook which I've completely reset to factory defaults

I can connect the NAS via ethernet to my iMac and access the settings via browser and mount the drive no problem

I rather naively thought I would then just disconnect and reconnect to my primary M9 and it would appear on the network but 2 attempts at this have failed. I've searched for answers and seen mention of static vs DHCP although I have no idea what this means and if I need to change anything. My previous set-up was a standard virginmedia router wifi network and the NAS just plugged into the router and appeared on the network without a problem.

Any help would be much appreciated

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M9+ adding a WD NAS-Solution
2021-05-20 15:40:09 - last edited 2021-05-21 02:40:47

JW333 wrote

I rather naively thought I would then just disconnect and reconnect to my primary M9 and it would appear on the network but 2 attempts at this have failed.

@JW333 

Just to make sure, you are not connecting WD NAS to Deco M9 with USB cable, right? You must be using Ethernet cable.

I am also assuming you rebooted WD NAS, after you disconnected it from virginmedia router, and did it hard way: power off (shutdown) NAS, unplug it from electrical socket, plug it back, connect Ethernet cable to NAS and M9+, power NAS on and wait till it boots.

When you connect WD NAS to Deco M9+, do you see it appear as device under Main Deco, in Deco app? Device name may be unusual, not necessarily WD or MyWorldBook, but it would be possible to figure that this is the NAS. If you see it in Deco app, you'll also see its new IP address assigned to it by Deco mesh.

If you don't see MyWorldBook in Deco app, how about lights on NAS, what do they say? I am not familiar with that model but usually NAS systems have a least rudimentary lights based status reporting described in User Manual, and if NAS has LCD screen - even better, more info could be found there.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M9+ adding a WD NAS-Solution
2021-05-20 15:40:09 - last edited 2021-05-21 02:40:47

JW333 wrote

I rather naively thought I would then just disconnect and reconnect to my primary M9 and it would appear on the network but 2 attempts at this have failed.

@JW333 

Just to make sure, you are not connecting WD NAS to Deco M9 with USB cable, right? You must be using Ethernet cable.

I am also assuming you rebooted WD NAS, after you disconnected it from virginmedia router, and did it hard way: power off (shutdown) NAS, unplug it from electrical socket, plug it back, connect Ethernet cable to NAS and M9+, power NAS on and wait till it boots.

When you connect WD NAS to Deco M9+, do you see it appear as device under Main Deco, in Deco app? Device name may be unusual, not necessarily WD or MyWorldBook, but it would be possible to figure that this is the NAS. If you see it in Deco app, you'll also see its new IP address assigned to it by Deco mesh.

If you don't see MyWorldBook in Deco app, how about lights on NAS, what do they say? I am not familiar with that model but usually NAS systems have a least rudimentary lights based status reporting described in User Manual, and if NAS has LCD screen - even better, more info could be found there.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M9+ adding a WD NAS
2021-05-20 15:54:42

Alexandre

Thank you very much

Tried again with that sequence, ie Ethernet, then power then reboot

It worked! (on second attempt) brilliant, thanks, perhaps I was being too impatient with it before.

Options
2021-05-20 16:02:52

@JW333 

Now that you have NAS connected to Deco, you may wish to configure it always have same IP address. This is called IP reservation, or DHCP reservation. You don't need to do that for all devices, but may need for such devices as NAS or networking printer.

If you want to do that for your NAS, this TP-Link FAQ article is what you should read: How to configure Address Reservation with Deco?

Options
2021-05-20 16:22:10

@Alexandre. I will do, thanks again

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 941

Replies: 4