Archer C6 needs reconfiguring everytime after a reboot to get internet connection from ONT modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C6 needs reconfiguring everytime after a reboot to get internet connection from ONT modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-23 05:35:12
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 build 20201117 rel 41066

Every time the archer C6 or modem boots I have to reconfigure and fiddle with setup to get internet. Takes as much as 20 minutes.

I have an Archer C6 connected thru Cable from C6 WAN port to the ONT Fibre Cable modem regular port, and somehow I got it to work

ONT modem IP is 192.168.1.1. subnet mask 255.255.255.0, Lan1 the Cable port 1000 mbps full duplex, local devices 

Active Ethernet Archer_C6 192.168.1.103   DHCP

Archer C6 default 192.168.0.1, in Status: Internet IP Address 192.168.1.103, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 

In case any of the devices / connectors is disconnected / powered off or rebooted it is a huge exercise to get it to work again. I have to re-enter and re-setup the C6.

I tried putting all off then

A. after 1 minute powered on the ONT modem (Nokia-G-140w-c with wifi / radio turned off), after that it takes 1 more minute for its 4 lights other than wifi to be steady

B. after a further 3 minutes powered on the C6, I waited for 10 minutes. while the first 3 lights came on, the 5th light for internet only blinked at low intervals. it never becomes steady.

Ultimately i entered setup and reconfigure, it detects Dynamic IP (sometimes it does not and just says WAN port is unplugged) and then i proceed to create the SSID and Password). at the end it says failed with an elaborate message - after a couple of attempts the 5th light comes on and internets starts working.

this is very painful.     

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C6 needs reconfiguring everytime after a reboot to get internet connection from ONT modem
2021-05-23 09:46:37

@sminni 

Use the original cable from C6 kit to connect to the ONT modem.

If the C6 WAN port still gives the message that it's unplugged use another Cat 5e/6 cable to connect to ONT modem or use different LAN port on the ONT modem to connect to the C6 WAN.

The other thing you could do is to:

re-configure the ONT modem in bridge mode (if possible) to avoid the double NAT in your network.

or

use C6 in AP mode to avoid the double NAT in your network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Archer C6 needs reconfiguring everytime after a reboot to get internet connection from ONT modem
2021-05-26 05:47:45

@terziyski 

in this setup how does one decide beween AP mode and Router mode

(setup is -----[ONT]--(thru ethernet)---[WiFi Device (AP or Router?)]

Options
2021-05-26 11:04:10

@sminni 

Well, it depends on which features are implemented in your ONT modem and C6 router and which are needed in your network setup.

Depending on the these requirements you can decide which approach to follow - either put the ONT modem in bridge mode and use the C6 as a main router or leave the ONT modem as it is and put the C6 in AP mode.

If you don't have any special requirements then the easier approach is to put C6 in AP mode.

Here's the difference between the router and AP mode in wireless routers.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 430

Replies: 3

Related Articles