AX50 loses internet connection every few days; has to be reset. Really hot to the touch too

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX50 loses internet connection every few days; has to be reset. Really hot to the touch too

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-02 03:16:08
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 build 20200708 rel 55037

Hi, I am experiencing a problem with my AX50. 3-4 times in the past couple of weeks, it loses connection to the internet -- the rightmost light turns orange. I have to reset the router and the modem to fix it. 

Whenever I do this, I notice  the router is extremely hot to the touch. I've read reviews of it's heatsink online and this have me concerned. 

I've had an ISP tech out here about 3 times and they acknowledge while there are some issues with the line they're trying to pinpoint, they don't think the router should be losing the connection entirely. 

This, plus the heat of the router, is making me think about going back to my Nighthawk. 

is there anything I can do to fix the Archer?

Options
2 Reply
Re:AX50 loses internet connection every few days; has to be reset. Really hot to the touch too
2021-06-02 06:55:54

@ryan9379 

wallmount the AX50 for better heat dissipation

lower the "transmit power" for either the 2.4 or 5Ghz wifi signals, I have my 2.4Ghz set to "low" and 5Ghz set to "High"

other than that, you can also opt to use a USB fan connected to the USB port of the router and point the fan at the center base of the AX50.

Options
Re:AX50 loses internet connection every few days; has to be reset. Really hot to the touch too
2021-06-02 12:43:45

@CHIBOMAN 

I tried lowering the power of the 2.4 GHz radio; we'll see how that goes.

I'm not able to wall mount the router, and I don't want to have a fan blowing on it constantly. I can appreciate the need for it, but in my opinion that's a hack to work around a design problem. There are plenty of other routers out there that don't need a dedicated external cooling system.

That's just my opinion. Appreciate the help and we'll see how it goes. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 613

Replies: 2