Using BT Openreach VSDL Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-10 13:02:22
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

In our home, we currently have Sky Broadband, and we have our TP-Link router running from that. I understand that this is not ideal due to the fact it creates a Double NAT, especially with the Sky Router not supporting a modem mode. I was just thinking would I be able to purchase a BT Openreach VDSL Modem and connect that to the TP-Link Router? I know that these work with other providers (inc Sky) due to older routers not supporting VDSL. Or would I have to eventually have to switch provider (e.g Virgin Media as I know their router supports modem mode)

Many thanks :)

Options
3 Reply
Re:Using BT Openreach VSDL Modem
2021-06-10 16:13:27

@DavidL1 

How about keeping Sky Broadband router and use Archer A7 in AP mode ?

Thus you won't buy any additional HW and you'll avoid the Double NAT in your network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-06-10 16:17:22

@terziyski I had that for a short while, however I lost the feature of OneMesh which I am using with an extender for full WiFi coverage in the house, I also lost QoS. It also created problems somehow with the sky router with me not being able to join the wifi network.

Options
2021-06-10 16:38:35 - last edited 2021-06-10 17:57:28

@DavidL1 

In that case, if your ISP confirms that you can use BT Openreach VDSL modem in their network and this device supports bridge mode, then go for it.

You can connect that modem (configured in bridge mode) with Archer A7 (configured with the ISP PPPoE parameters).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options