AX-1800 Bridge Mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX-1800 Bridge Mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
AX-1800 Bridge Mode?
AX-1800 Bridge Mode?
2021-06-12 02:04:04
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.0 Build 20210325 rel.39246(5553)

I am trying to get this AX1800 to work in bridge mode - so I can wirelessly connect to our ISP's provided modem/router... and then have a couple of wired connections off the AX1800 in a room at the other side of our house.

I was under the impression this was possible when I purchased the unit ~ but it's proving to be rather cumbersome to figure it out... instructions online don't seem to match the capabilities of the unit's interface.

Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do? ~ or do I need to return this unit?

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX-1800 Bridge Mode?
2021-06-12 08:04:42 - last edited 2021-06-12 08:09:00

@Nokuroku 

AX1800 doesn't support configuring Range Extender mode nor WDS if that's what you're after:

In your case the Access Point mode can be used for that, but it involves using an ethernet cable between devices.

What you can use is Powerline Adapters to extend your home wired network without drilling or wire installation.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-06-12 13:57:32 - last edited 2021-06-12 14:21:08

@terziyski 

thanks for the response, albeit unfortunate. will have to send this unit back to amazon.

is there a different model that is actually capable of connecting to ISP modem wirelessly, to act as a wireless extension, and also provide wired connections (for desktop computer and a printer) to another room?

we are currently using powerline extension to get network/internet to the office - but it's barely providing 20mbs speeds (we have 1.5gb internet). the device also makes a subtle high pitch ringing sound, which is mildly annoying..

i can get speeds of up to 80mbs wireless in the office directly from our ISP's wireless modem, so i was hoping that by putting a decent wifi router in there we would be able to extend our wifi coverage, and also get the desktop computer and printer wired to the network... with better internet speed performance than we are currently getting from the powerline extension.

terziyski wrote

@Nokuroku 

AX1800 doesn't support configuring Range Extender mode nor WDS if that's what you're after:

In your case the Access Point mode can be used for that, but it involves using an ethernet cable between devices.

What you can use is Powerline Adapters to extend your home wired network without drilling or wire installation.

Options
2021-06-12 16:03:09 - last edited 2021-06-14 13:31:07

@Nokuroku 

You have three options:

1. Return AX1800 and buy another WDS capable router like Archer C7 or Archer C2300.

Keep in mind that it's a 450 mbps (on 2.4GHz) router, and the theoretic maximum wireless speed through WDS is 225 mbps.

It's actual value would be less and it highly depends on obstacles, wireless interference and distance.

2. Buy a OneMesh capable RE (Range Extender) to use it in OneMesh with AX1800, and put your ISP provided modem/router in bridge mode (if supported).

3. Return AX1800, buy a Deco system and use it in this scenario (Topology 2):

- Deco as a router - you have to configure your ISP provided modem/router in bridge mode (if supported).

- Deco as an AP (Access Point) - nothing to change on your ISP modem/router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 14327

Replies: 3

Related Articles