wifi network question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

wifi network question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
wifi network question
wifi network question
2021-06-15 12:11:50
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I connected my Deco S4, replacing my router, and I set up a new network name and placed a password on it locking my network.. All is good. If I check the internet access (on the bottom of the computer screen) I will see my network, along with everyone else in the neighborhood. The problem is that sometimes I will also see TP-Link_Extender showing up and it is an open network and I can just connect to it without putting in a password. It doesn't show up all the time. I am assuming it is somehow my network (even though I am connected to my named/locked network) but it's unlocked. No other network shows up on the Deco app. What could that possibly be? Why does it only show up sometimes? And finally, if it is somehow an additional network, how do I put a lock code on it (especially since it's not showing up on the app)?

Options
2 Reply
Re:wifi network question
2021-06-15 13:22:51 - last edited 2021-06-15 13:24:13

@MCL68 

Why do you assume it is your network? TP-Link is quite popular brand, one of your neighbors may have WiFi extender from TP-Link. 

If it is your WiFi network, it'll go to Internet through your public IP address provided to you by your ISP. That address should be the same regardless to which WiFi SSID your device is connected on your home network(s).

How to verify.

When TP-LINK_Extender network becomes available again, connect to it with your mobile device and in browser open Web site https://www.whatismyip.com/

Write down IP address shown at the top of the screen, under My Public IPv4 is:

Disconnect mobile device from TP-LINK_Extender SSID and connect device to your home network SSID. Open same Web site in browser and check IP address it shows now. If both IP addresses are the same to the last digit, it means TP-LINK_Extender is, indeed, SSID on your network. If they do not match, even by one digit, it is someone's else and you don't need to worry about it.

Options
Re:wifi network question
2021-06-15 22:25:04

@Alexandre. Thank you for your response. I assumed it was my network because I never saw it before I installed the TP Link. When I tried to connect it said there was no open internet (even though I connected in the past) so there doesn't seem to be an issue. Sorry to waste anyone's time, Thanks again!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 483

Replies: 2

Related Articles