Defective Deco M5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Defective Deco M5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Defective Deco M5?
Defective Deco M5?
2021-06-17 14:17:31 - last edited 2021-06-17 14:19:05
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

I'm getting "good" signal strength when I put my smartphone and laptop next to my Deco M5. If I move back 3 feet, it goes down to "poor" and a dead zone by 6 feet. That's on 2.4Ghz. Turn off 2.4 and force it to connect to 5Ghz. The signal strength is almost nonexistent. Mind you; I have the Deco in clear sign with no possible obstruction or interference. 

I've just received this unit from the mail today, and I wanted to see if I was doing anything wrong before I try and return the unit. If it helps, I live in a condo unit with dozens of neighbors all beaming their WiFi.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Defective Deco M5?
2021-06-17 14:22:19

Just to add, it seems to have been fine with a strong signal at the start. I only noticed the signal strength go down after I updated the firmware to 1.5.3 Build 20210203 Rel. 68223. I've attempted to reset the router but to no luck. Any chance of a firmware fix coming soon?

Options
2021-06-17 19:38:01

@prinsipengharry 

I have Deco M5 with same firmware version as yours. At the distance of 8 feet signal strength on my smartphone connected to M5 is reported as Excellent. That's on 5GHz, with 2.4GHz turned off. To be more technical, signal strength is -45 dBm according to WiFi Analyzer app on that same smartphone.

I measured the distance and, just like you, tested signal strength on smartphone with Deco M5 in clear sign.  

Either you've got defective unit, or you have too much WiFi interference from your neighbours. Have you tried "Network Optimization" in Deco app? If, after first run, on every run it tells your Deco WiFi network still needs optimizing, that would be a bad sign.

Options
2021-06-18 02:22:28 - last edited 2021-06-18 02:23:12

@Alexandre. 

Hi,

Yeah, I figured there was no way the signal strength could be this bad. I did try optimizing, and I think that made it worse to be honest. I've already set up an appointment with my ISP to return to their store.

Thank you, this further convinces me I've got a defective device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 362

Replies: 3

Related Articles