Archer AX50 - Jerky transfers in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-24 19:58:51 - last edited 2021-06-24 20:03:08
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

I had an AX50 router, and bought another one dedicated for Virtual Reality. I have only my VR headset and my game computer connected to the dedicated router, nothing else. However, the network transfers seem "jerky" even when playing games that need much less traffic than the router is capable of (for instance Beat Saber). I don't know whether I have something set incorrectly, or whether this router is incapable of good VR support (though it is recommended by many for VR purpose).

VR headset needs internet connection, and the game computer - when playing - too. I had two possibilities how to setup the "VR" AX50 - either configure it in router mode and connect it to internet through the main router (by wire), or configure it in AP mode connected to the main router (again by wire). I chose the second option. However, I'm not sure, how exactly the AP mode works. Even when both the VR headset and the game computer are connected to the same AP, do they communicate directly through the AP, or does all (or some) of the communication go forth and back through the main router? This could explain the "jerks".

Further info:

When I connect the game computer to the VR headset directly via USB-C wire, there are no jerks.

I had no experience with APs, so I was surprised that almost nothing can be set at AX50 in this mode, security in particular. Nevertheless, I have verified that the wi-fi access lists set at the main router are respected by the AP too. Which is good. However, devices connected to the main router do not see devices connected to the AP. Is this correct behaviour of the AP?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer AX50 - Jerky transfers in AP mode
2021-06-24 21:07:31 - last edited 2021-06-24 23:14:01

@xarx 

When in AP mode the router has limited functionality. You choosed it right - in AP mode you'll avoid the double NAT which can be a culprit for many problem especially when gaming.

Devices connected to the main router should be able to see the devices connected to the AX50., because they are in the same subnet.

These jerks may have been caused by few things.

Check the negotiated speed of your AX50 AP ports - is it 100 mbps or 1000 mbps:

They should be 1000 mbps (if connected device is 1000 mbps capable too) cause AX50 AP is a gigabite port device. If less then you can change the cable with another (Cat 5E/6) or move it to another LAN port.

Check AX50 AP wireless settings:

Make sure you are connecting AX50 AP wireless clients to the faster 5 GHz SSID when gaming.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-06-24 22:17:15 - last edited 2021-06-24 22:18:01

@terziyski Thank you for yor detailed answer. Both my router and my AP are AX50. For the AP, I've got everything set up the way you described:

• Status > Settings:
    • Your Network globe has red cross, mine has yellow exclamation mark, I don't know what this means, there's no explanation.
    • Archer AX50 > Ethernet: LAN1=1000Mbps Full Duplex.
      In the installation manual they write that AP should be connected to the router with its WAN port, but I think this didn't work correctly or not at all, I don't remember. That's why I use LAN1.
  • Wireless > Wireless Settings: I have OFDMA enabled there, and the 2.4GHz radio disabled - so all connected devices use 5GHz. Otherwise my config is identical to yours. Multi-user MIMO is enabled as well.
  • My AP has different SSID than the router. I think this is correct.

Does the communication PC <> AP <> VR go through the router, or does it go directly?

Options
2021-06-24 23:21:59 - last edited 2021-06-25 00:09:39

@xarx

OK.I've edited my 1-st post, so every screenshot posted is referring to the AX50 AP device.

And yes, AX50 router LAN port <=> AX50 AP WAN port - that's how the connection should look like.

Exclamation mark on globe icon means "poor network" - maybe negotiation speed problem - on which AX50 do you see that icon - router or AP ?

Fix the connection as described in the device manual.

Then again observe the AX50 AP ethernet port status negotiation speed. Is there any less than 1000 mbps ?

Check the same on AX50 router device.

Basically when both PC and VR connected to the AP it behaves like a simple switch, packets flow directly between them.

Are your both PC and VR connected by wire to the AP or PC by wire and the VR by wireless ?

You can also test to connect both PC and the VR to the main router and check if jerks still visible, to isolate a possible AP issue.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-06-26 09:52:24 - last edited 2021-06-26 09:55:04

@terziyski I've experimented a lot with connecting various PCs, mobile phones etc. either to the router or to the AP, and verifying mutual visibility.

There seems to be no functional difference when AP si connected to the router via LAN or WAN port, so I changed it to WAN, as suggested. But the yellow exclamation mark on the globe in the AP Status > Settings tab hasn't disappeared. The only difference is that when WAN port is used, there is an orange LED shining on the device (the Internet LED), while when LAN port is used, the green Ethernet LED is shining instead.

The problems in visibility I mentioned earlier were probably caused by Windows firewall. Everything sees everything.

The yellow exclamation mark is in AP. On the router, there is a yellow check-mark (it is yellow even in the user manual, so this should be fine).

Negotiation speeds on all connected ports on both the AP and the router are "1000Mbps Full Duplex".

The PC and the VR are connected to the router wirelessly, that's why I bought the AX-50 router, as it supports WiFi6. I can try to connect the PC via an ethernet cable, but not the VR, the VR has only USB-C port. But as I've already written, when the PC and the VR headset are connected via an USB-C cable, there are no "jerks" while playing VR games. So I think the "jerky" problems are caused by the router, somehow.

Originally I had only one AX-50 device. But the "jerks" were very frequent, esp. when someone else was watching videos or downloading something. That's why I decided to buy another AX-50 dedicated for the VR. The jerks are less often, but they are still there. And some VR games and unplayable with them (you always lose the game).

Options
2021-06-27 19:51:28

@xarx 

Your configuration seems fine. The only thing that bothers is the exclamation mark ("poor network") on the AX50 AP - normally you should have the same yellow check-mark as on the main AX50. What's the cable between the AX50s, is it hand-made or factory-made, replacing it, may solve that out.

You have to experiment to narrow down the root cause for that issue. Connect PC by wire to AX50 AP and check if there's any difference.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 509

Replies: 5

Related Articles