Deco m9 plus internet connection dropping

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-28 14:48:37
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

I've had no issues with my deco's but recently my internet loses connection and requires me to reboot the devices. I initially thought this was an issue with my isp but whenever I check it there is no issues and I only need to reboot the deco.

Is there any new beta firmware available? 

Im almost at the point of scraping the deco and getting a different product.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco m9 plus internet connection dropping
2021-06-28 20:02:24 - last edited 2021-06-28 20:02:39

Sofa_king_lazy wrote

... recently my internet loses connection and requires me to reboot the devices. I initially thought this was an issue with my isp but whenever I check it there is no issue...

@Sofa_king_lazy 

How exactly do you verify that it is not ISP issue?

Options
2021-06-28 21:08:16

@Alexandre.  Normally indicator lights on the router shows a problem with tx/rx. If not I connect directly to it and check the logs. In the past its always the isp and a reboot usually fixes it. But recently there is no indication that there is an issue on the router. I will have a no internet notification on my devices and sometimes the deco's have a green light sometimes its red. Only fix is rebooting the main deco and sometimes the second one too. Without the need to reboot the isp router.

Options
2021-06-29 00:17:08

@Sofa_king_lazy 

After the next outage, but before you reboot Main Deco, look for the following log lines in Main Deco logs:

Mon Nov  2 10:22:12 2020 daemon.notice conn-indicator: Connectivity changed: ONLINE(0x0) -> OFFLINE(0x1)

Mon Nov  2 10:22:42 2020 daemon.notice conn-indicator: Connectivity changed: OFFLINE(0x1) -> ONLINE(0x0)

These log lines will tell you when Main Deco lost connection to the Internet, and when connection came back. 30 seconds outage in this example.

Logs are reset every few hours and when Main Deco is rebooted.

If you see these log lines, it means Main Deco Internet health checks were failing. That could be because Deco can't resolve domain name (DNS problem?), can't connect to the Internet: ISP router issues or connectivity issues between Main Deco and ISP router.

If you are absolutely confident ISP router and Internet connectivity from it is fine, in that case I would suggest to replace Ethernet cable between Main Deco and ISP router and see if that fixes the issue.

Options
2021-06-29 00:46:52

@Alexandre. Thanks ill let you know what it says! 

Options
2021-07-13 11:55:56

@Alexandre. So was fine for a while but happened again twice about an hour apart. I grabbed logs both times. I do see that message multiple times in logs but only fix was to reboot deco. Never had to reboot modem. I have both sets of logs anything else I can check for in them? Lots of entries 

Options
2021-07-13 13:53:28

@Sofa_king_lazy 

These log lines tell that Main Deco internet health check is failing. Multiple issues could cause it, but in essence it means Main Deco either can't reach Internet or can't resolve host name.

These quite hard to troubleshoot remotely, but I would suggest you try following three things:

1. Replace Ethernet cable you use to connect Main Deco to router. Also, connect Ethernet cable to different Deco port and to different router port. If you can't replace cable, just connect it to different ports on both Deco and router.

2. Configure Main Deco with static IP address, by using "DHCP reservation" or similarly named setting on your router. Most routers have that. Also, set DHCP lease time on router to 1 hour.

3. If above have not fixed the issue, next time Main Deco goes red - do not restart it. Restart ISP router instead. If after router restart Main Deco recovers by itself (give it 3-5 minutes), that would mean the issue is not with Deco or is not solely with Deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 873

Replies: 6

Related Articles