Deco P9 connection speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 connection speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco P9 connection speed
Deco P9 connection speed
2021-06-30 07:01:54
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone,

Firstly I appreciate in advance any help and support anyone can provide on this forum to help me get the best possible speeds I can! 

So, I received only yesterday my shiny new pack of 3 Deco P9 whole home mesh system which I'm very excited to get up and running.

I followed the instructions to the letter and was happy to see through the app that all units connected and showed working.

The current issue.... while my virgin hub3.0 is broadcasting 200mb from the router (and on the whole the first Deco connected to this through Ethernet is doing much the same) 

The second and 3rd are broadcasting much lower speeds (typically anywhere from 20mb to 60/80 mb) I thought the idea was to have a consistent WiFi much the same as the original source distributed seamlessly throughout the house ??? I have the seconds in the room just next door to the main so would have expected this to easily replicate 200mb but it isn't (130mb if I'm lucky) and the 3rd is upstairs at about 60mb but can be less on both.

Before the system I was able to get a relatively close speed in the room where Deco 2 is so haven't seen any value just yet.

im unsure whether this has anything to do with the plug sockets as it says all on the same circuit but I'm not an electrical engineer and this is a new home I have brought that is a good 80 years old so unsure how to even check if all plug sockets are on the same circuit ???

Am I just simply missing something ?? I've got 2 to link Ethernet plugs and am considering checking each plug to see if I can pass Ethernet through each socket to a laptop with these ?? That would answer the circuit issue ? 

thanks in advance ! 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco P9 connection speed
2021-06-30 09:48:14
Bump for any advice would be fab
Options
2021-06-30 12:51:20 - last edited 2021-06-30 12:52:30

Jamie__ wrote

The current issue.... while my virgin hub3.0 is broadcasting 200mb from the router (and on the whole the first Deco connected to this through Ethernet is doing much the same) 

The second and 3rd are broadcasting much lower speeds (typically anywhere from 20mb to 60/80 mb) I thought the idea was to have a consistent WiFi much the same as the original source distributed seamlessly throughout the house ??? I have the seconds in the room just next door to the main so would have expected this to easily replicate 200mb but it isn't (130mb if I'm lucky) and the 3rd is upstairs at about 60mb but can be less on both.

@Jamie__ 

First thing to check is what your Satellite Decos use for backhaul: is it WiFi or powerline. You can do that through Deco app. See General Questions about the Powerline or PLC Backhaul Feature of Deco

If it is powerline, then wiring could be limiting factor, or what else is plugged in electric outlets. You can check maximum speed you should expect from Satellite Deco by connecting laptop to its Ethernet port and running speedtest. The speed you'll get will be peak, any device connected by WiFi to same Deco won't get faster speeds.

If you want hints in improving Deco powerline speed, google for recommendations on how to properly deploy Ethernet powerline adapters in house. These recommendations will apply to P9 as well, as long as it uses powerline backhaul.

In case your P9s are on WiFi backhaul, the drop of speed should be expected. The idea of WiFi mesh is to provide good WiFi coverage over house. Just like with WiFi range extenders, connection speed is sacrificed for stronger WiFi signal.

im unsure whether this has anything to do with the plug sockets as it says all on the same circuit but I'm not an electrical engineer and this is a new home I have brought that is a good 80 years old so unsure how to even check if all plug sockets are on the same circuit ???

Go to your house circuit breaker panel, and flip individual circuit breakers OFF/ON one by one. If there is circuit breaker that when you push its lever to the OFF position all three Deco P9s turn off, it means all your Decos are on the same circuit. 

If only some P9s go off and some stay on, they are not.

Options
2021-06-30 12:55:38

@Alexandre. 

This is great! Thank you for the advice, I'll give these a go when I'm home and keep you informed ! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 818

Replies: 3

Related Articles