Archer AX50 no internet access with fibre ONT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-08 00:49:04
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi, I have recently had fibre installed and my ISP provided a Netcomm NF18ACV. This works OK, apart from having very poor Wifi range. The Netcomm connects to the internet WAN using IPOE with no MAC address.

So I purchased a TP-Link Archer AX50 in the belief that it would have superior Wifi performance. Sure enough it does have good Wifi performance BUT will not connect to the internet when its WAN port is connected to the fibre ONT. The AX50 does not appear to have an IPOE connection mode.

However, I have got it to work by interposing an old Netcomm NF15ACV modem operating in VDSL Bridge mode between the ONT and the AX50, with the AX50 configured in dynamic IP mode.

It seems odd to say the least that the AX50 cannot be configured to operate in IPOE mode.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer AX50 no internet access with fibre ONT
2021-07-08 02:41:03

@nzfred 

Here are the WAN types that AX50 supports:

If you connect Netcomm NF18ACV LAN4 (for example) to AX50 WAN port (Dynamic IP) you should connect to the internet.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-07-08 03:28:01
Thanks terziyski, As you can see I have already carried out your example solution. If I had known TP-Link AX50 did not support IPOE I would never have purchased this product.
Options
2021-07-08 03:51:46 - last edited 2021-07-08 03:53:45

@nzfred 

Nevertheless you can still utilize your AX50 avoiding double NAT in your network:

For example:

1. If Netcomm NF18ACV can be configured in bridge mode you can use the AX50 as your main wireless router (WAN port with Dynamic IP).

2. If Netcomm NF18ACV can't be configured in bridge mode you can use the AX50 in AP mode (Case 1) to extend your wireless coverage at home.

Or if all the above do not suit your needs to return the AX50, given that's allowed by your retailer.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 819

Replies: 3

Related Articles