Using a TL-WR702N router as a wireless access point on a narrow-boat.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-07 04:23:25
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR702N

Hardware Version : V4.20.0

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I would be grateful if anyone could help me work out how to print from my iPad and iPhone to a printer on my narrow-boat, on the UK inland waterways.
The Apple store geniuses seem to contradict each other on how it can be done, if at all.

I have an iPad and iPhone and would like to print photos, documents and the occasional web page to my Canon MG4250 printer, which has Airprint capability, while I am cruising.
I don't have a PC on the boat and of course there is no telephone or broadband connection (other than via 3G on my iPhone).
In other words, I want to link my printer to a router, then when required, wirelessly connect to the router to print from my Apple devices.

Will the TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router allow me to do this?

Reading the product information, this nano router looks very flexible, but all five modes mentioned seem to utilise an internet connection.
I only have an internet connection via 3G on my iPhone, and can also tether the iPad to the iPhone's wi-fi hotspot to give internet connection on the iPad.
Would I have to use this internet connection somehow, or can I just connect the Apple devices to the printer via the wi-fi on the nano router?

In effect I want to create a wireless access point for printing, without any, or at least a regular, internet connection.
Any advice much appreciated.
Options
5 Reply
Re:Using a TL-WR702N router as a wireless access point on a narrow-boat.
2013-03-09 21:54:07
I think TL-WR702N doesn't support airprint. I am wonderring if they have any plan to release some beta firmware to support it...:rolleyes:
Options
2013-03-10 00:14:50
Thanks for your comment Mavis, you're apparently right.
I have now had a reply from tech support, saying that the TL-WR702N nano router does not support Airprint, but that other products of theirs do, also at around £16. I was told:

"No, you won’t be in need of a internet connection for printing jobs.
When you get the TL-WR841ND or the TL-WR741ND, the wireless router, your printer will be connected with the router as well as your ios devices.
If the printer has WiFi capability you can connect the printer to the router’s WiFi as well as the ios devices.
So they will be in the same network, they will be able to communicate with each other, thus you can execute printing jobs on your ios devices."

I've ordered a TL-WR841N, which sounds perfect for my purposes, but the devil is in the detail, or in this case, the setting up of the router.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Options
2013-03-10 00:44:09
Base question, can you make connection by the LCD screen in printer? Can you see there SSID (wireless network name) and make connect?
Options
2013-03-20 01:18:45
I promised I'd let you know how I got on with the TP-LINK router.
In fact I bought a TL-WR841N rather than the TL-WR841ND recommended by TP=LINK tech support, as apparently the only difference is that the latter has removable antennae, but costs a few pounds more than the £20 I paid Amazon for the TL-WR841N.

Would you believe it - the router worked first time with NO set-up hassles at all!

It was supplied with a mini CD which took me though the set-up routine.
All I had to do was unplug the cable from my ADSL router to PC and instead connect it to the TL-WR841N, then connect the TL-WR841N to the ADSL modem, then power up the TL-WR841N.
There was a brief set-up where I keyed in new wi-fi password and opted to clone the MAC address, and that was the internet on the PC working via the new router. I then linked the Canon printer to the router using the WPS button and that worked first time, allowing printing from the PC via wi-fi. Finally I connected to the new network with my iPhone and iPad and was able to print via AirPrint.

I disconnected the PC and ADSL modem and the TL-WR841N still worked, allowing me to print from the IOS devices. Even after turning the router off then back on it worked. Yay.

So the TL-WR841N and the Canon printer are now on the boat and I can use AirPrint without an internet connection to the router. (You hear that, Apple geniuses?)

So a wonderful piece of kit from TP-LINK. The whole set-up from opening the box took less than half an hour and there were no set-up problems at all.

Thank you all and to TP-LINK tech support for your comments and suggestion of the TL-WR841ND.
Options
sing a TL-WR702N router as a wireless access point on a narrow-boat.
2016-08-04 17:33:33
I have 3 bits of hardware that are hoping to be hard wired to a switch. The hardware runs Linux however its all exclusive so they give order assignment online the installers direct access to the OS or the choice for a customary remote association. I have an establishment coming up where it will be unreasonable to run a system wire between these three bits of gear.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 770

Replies: 5