how to setup an isolated guest network in ap-mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-13 20:51:56
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V18
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210126 Rel 59387

Six months ago I bought a set of deco M9 units to setup a more secure home network.

Recently I bought an Edgerouter to server as my primairy router. I changed the operation mode of the deco unit into access point mode. The guest network properties do have an option to isolated the guest network from the main network. But when I check this option and connect to the guest network I still can access my primairy router. This is not what I expected. 

How can I run a guest network full separated from the private devices in my home. Is it perhaps possible to use a vlan I can create with my Edgerouter? 

Options
1 Reply
Re:how to setup an isolated guest network in ap-mode
2021-07-14 01:42:54

@sjaak28 

Devices on Guest network need DHCP and DNS services. These are provided by the router. If Guest network devices can't access the router, they can't get IP address and can't access the Internet.

To check that network isolation is working, when it is enabled try to ping device on Main network from device on Guest network. That should fail. Disable network isolation, wait 5-10 minutes, try pinging again. That should succeed. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 935

Replies: 1

Related Articles