omada vs deco for home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

omada vs deco for home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
omada vs deco for home
omada vs deco for home
2021-07-17 23:17:00 - last edited 2021-07-27 21:35:24

Hello

Currently I am switching my provider from LTE to fiber and I am thinking about rebuilding my home network

For the same amount I can have:

a) deco style

- two deco x60 (one of them will act as main router)

- two TL-SG105PE switches to connect some local stuff like consoles/tv/raspberry pi etc

fiber -- HALNy HL-1GE  --                     -- EAP-225 outdoor (owned)

\                   /

(floor1) x60 -- TL-SG105PE -- (owned switch) -- TL-SG105PE - x60 (floor2)

|

--- NAS

b) omada style

- two EAP-245

- two TL-SG105PE switches to connect some local stuff like consoles/tv/raspberry pi etc

- omada router (TL-R605)

- omada controler (OC-200)

fiber -- HALNy HL-1GE  --                     -- EAP-225 outdoor (owned)

\                   /

(floor1) EAP245 -- TL-SG105PE -- (owned switch) -- TL-SG105PE - EAP245 (floor2)

/      \

OC200 --  TL-R605  --        - NAS

Here is my understanding and questions:

- I've read that I really don't need OC200 and will be able to configure the network, this device is not that expensive and can be powered from TL-R605. should I buy it? Do I need it?

- TL-R605 will be my main router because EAP can work only as access point

- omada style network will integrate with my outdoor EAP-225 and will create single mesh network

- omada is business solution and it looks like it will have better/longer support than deco

Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere because I am not network guy

So: omada or deco and why?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:omada vs deco for home-Solution
2021-07-20 08:54:59 - last edited 2021-07-27 21:35:24

@bart40 

Hey and welcome, hopefully should be able to help you with this  :)

- I've read that I really don't need OC200 and will be able to configure the network, this device is not that expensive and can be powered from TL-R605. should I buy it? Do I need it?

The OC200 is a controller, that simple and no you don't specifically need to have it to make this work.  However, most users would go down that path as honestly, that is how the solution is designed.   All the devices you have mentioned are primarily designed for the SDN and that requires a controller.    As to what a controller would offer you, its basically the following

• Central Management - no having to configure 4x devices, all in one portal
  • Fast Roaming  -  The ability to move from AP to AP without disconnecting, if you don't have a controller this wont happen.  Device will disconnect and reconnect as they feel appropriate.  May not be an issue for you, but if you are streaming or on a voip call this will cut you off.
  • MESH - Requires a controller
  • Portal - you can create guest portals
  • VLANs - easier to segment you network into VLANs.  Things like Home.. IOT.. Guest etc.

If you are going controller, I would recommend you rethink the TL-SG105PE switches, choose something that can handle the SDN..  SG2008P for example.

- TL-R605 will be my main router because EAP can work only as an access point

Thats the idea.  This will act as a gateway controller between the LAN and the WAN connection for you.   

- omada style network will integrate with my outdoor EAP-225 and will create single mesh network

You need a controller to handle the MESH

- omada is business solution and it looks like it will have better/longer support than deco

Yeah.. Business grade is a good step up from home grade, you will find it supported longer and lasts a lot longer (lifetime warranty).   However it does require more setup overall so bare that in mind.   Definitely recommend a controller OC200 as that is the direction this is going.

The big advantage the Deco will have is simplicity, its a lot easier to use but lacks a lot of the features you will get from Omada.  It does however offer WiFi6 support that the EAP245 you mentioned doesnt, if WiFi6 is a requirement look at the EAP620 or 660.

It really depends on how you want to approach this..  if you are after a network you can just setup and forget.. go Deco..   If you want something to play with, grow and expand as new toys come out.. Omada is your option.

Yes omada is a learning curve, but I have customers who I have convinced to do Omada.. they love it and wouldn't go back.   You can keep it as a simple one VLAN setup if you wish with minimum setup required, or go complex and have everything tidy.. its your call.

The forum guys (myself included) are here if you get stuck :)

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:omada vs deco for home-Solution
2021-07-20 08:54:59 - last edited 2021-07-27 21:35:24

@bart40 

Hey and welcome, hopefully should be able to help you with this  :)

The OC200 is a controller, that simple and no you don't specifically need to have it to make this work.  However, most users would go down that path as honestly, that is how the solution is designed.   All the devices you have mentioned are primarily designed for the SDN and that requires a controller.    As to what a controller would offer you, its basically the following

• Central Management - no having to configure 4x devices, all in one portal
  • Fast Roaming  -  The ability to move from AP to AP without disconnecting, if you don't have a controller this wont happen.  Device will disconnect and reconnect as they feel appropriate.  May not be an issue for you, but if you are streaming or on a voip call this will cut you off.
  • MESH - Requires a controller
  • Portal - you can create guest portals
  • VLANs - easier to segment you network into VLANs.  Things like Home.. IOT.. Guest etc.

If you are going controller, I would recommend you rethink the TL-SG105PE switches, choose something that can handle the SDN..  SG2008P for example.

- TL-R605 will be my main router because EAP can work only as an access point

Thats the idea.  This will act as a gateway controller between the LAN and the WAN connection for you.   

You need a controller to handle the MESH

Yeah.. Business grade is a good step up from home grade, you will find it supported longer and lasts a lot longer (lifetime warranty).   However it does require more setup overall so bare that in mind.   Definitely recommend a controller OC200 as that is the direction this is going.

The big advantage the Deco will have is simplicity, its a lot easier to use but lacks a lot of the features you will get from Omada.  It does however offer WiFi6 support that the EAP245 you mentioned doesnt, if WiFi6 is a requirement look at the EAP620 or 660.

It really depends on how you want to approach this..  if you are after a network you can just setup and forget.. go Deco..   If you want something to play with, grow and expand as new toys come out.. Omada is your option.

Yes omada is a learning curve, but I have customers who I have convinced to do Omada.. they love it and wouldn't go back.   You can keep it as a simple one VLAN setup if you wish with minimum setup required, or go complex and have everything tidy.. its your call.

The forum guys (myself included) are here if you get stuck :)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:omada vs deco for home
2021-07-20 09:05:45

Probably also worth asking what your WAN  / Internet speed is?

The Deco range will have faster WiFi (vs the eap245) due to WiFI6, however it will likely be slower overall as you push towards 1gb WAN

Some might disagree, but imho the Deco is only good for WAN speeds up to ~350mbps.   I find that 500 and higher really push the Deco to the limits, Omada handles it better.

Thats just my 2 cents :)

Options
2021-07-21 16:52:51

@Philbert Thank you very much for your explanations. It looks like I should go to OC200 and should consider TL-SG2008P switches. Currently I don't have wifi6 devices so cheaper EAP245 seems fine and it was also chosen because I was able to power it from TL-SG105PE. Using TL-SG2008P I can power EAP620 in future

I don't like solutions that prefer simplicity over functionality so I'll go stick with omada

Once again: thanks

Options
2021-07-21 16:58:44

@Philbert Currently I'am waiting for mesurements from my possible-future-provider and they said that I might expect some 600Mb/s download and 60Mb/s upload.

omada vs deco = 2:0

thanks!

Options
2021-07-21 17:05:07 - last edited 2021-07-21 17:06:12

@bart40 

If you are going to be pulling down 600mbps then Omada is the best choice for you, the Deco would be limits.

In terms of what you are looking (OC200, R605, SG2008P and 245) that pretty much what I'm running myself on 1gpbs down, 200 up.  Granted only get around 450 or so usable over the AC wireless but that's expected for WiFi5.   LAN wise I can push the WAN to the full :)

Any hassle don't be afraid to ask!

Any yes you should be able to power the EAP6xx range from the 2008P without issue if you do go WiFi6 eventually :)

Options
2021-07-27 21:49:08

@bart40 Quick update

So I've bought OC200 + TL-ER605 + 2x EAP245 + 2x TL-SG2008P, tossed this on the floor, joined with cables, configured, updated firmware but still as a slave to my current router (it may take some time to actually get this fiber connection alive because of holiday). This note is from my laptop connected to tp-link omada hardware. I've had one issue with cloud access that have been fixed with firmware update ("Fixed the bug that the OC200 may get an “Invalid Controller” error in the Cloud Access function if the OC200 didn’t connect to the Internet during the Quick Setup."). Also there is also a firewall issue ("The current gateway does not support firewall configuration, please upgrade the gateway to the latest firmware version.") and I've read that I might need to wait for firmware update

This OC200 gets quite hot while router and switches are not even warm (eap245 is a little bit warm). Is this normal? I've powered it using POE

Options
2021-07-27 23:26:57

@bart40 

Evening

Glad you got it setup and working so far, it can be fun to play with! 

In answer to your questions.. Yes, we are due a few firmware updates soon, if memory serves right one was pulled a while back so almost overdue.  

Also yes the OC200 does get warm to touch, I was querying this at the start also but 1 year later it's not change and no issues, think it expected

If your fibre is going via an ONT then you can likely connect that directly to the R605 and bypass any ISP router :)

Options
2021-08-04 19:58:45

@Philbert 

If your fibre is going via an ONT then you can likely connect that directly to the R605 and bypass any ISP router :)

So my ISP have finally arrived and 1 hour later I had working fiber connection and now my brand new tp-link omada network is working as planned. Got a little bit over 500Mb/s in both directions (ethernet), a little under promised 600/600 but it still seems fine at this moment

I also installed android omada application and it works in 'Controller - Local Access' (used my OC200 user/password) but I am unable to login to the 'Controller - Cloud Access' although 'Settings -> Cloud Access' is on and 'connected' and I am able to login to https://omada.tplinkcloud.com with this cloud account and password

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 12311

Replies: 8

Related Articles