What can I do if my Router keeps Rebooting randomly?

What can I do if my Router keeps Rebooting randomly?

80 Reply
Re:What can I do if my Router keeps Rebooting randomly?
2022-03-18 19:45:39

I am facing same problem. I search on the internet and land on that thread. Thanks all of you.

Kevin_Z wrote

This Article Applies to:

TP-Link Routers

Background:

Going through the community, we found some customers sporadically report that the router randomly reboots itself. Some customers resolved the auto-reboot issue by replacing the power adapter, some got fixed by updating router firmware, some got resolved by modifying router settings, etc. This article aims to provide some basic suggestions for the issue.

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

When a router is rebooting itself or restarting, all the LEDs will flash automatically, it seems the router is just starting up. This may occur randomly or periodically, the internet will stop on all the client devices that connect to the router, wired and wirelessly, when the router reboots itself, and it may take 2-5 minutes, then the internet will be back as normal.

Troubleshooting Suggestions:

1. Check and confirm if there is a Reboot Schedule on the router, try to disable it if it is enabled.

Here we take the web GUI of the Archer AX10 for an example, you can find the Reboot Schedule under Advanced > System > Reboot as follows:

2. Ensure the power supply is stable in the house, and other devices are working stably all the time.

3. Put the router in a well-ventilated location or mount it vertically on a stand that permits the free flow of air, check the below guide to put the router in a proper location:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2606/

4. Be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router.

5. Try to reset the router to the default factory following the FAQ.

6. Upgrade the router firmware to the latest. You can follow the guide: How to Upgrade the Firmware on the TP-Link Wi-Fi Routers?

If the router still reboots itself after checking all the above, it is suggested to comment below, or email support.forum@tp-link.com with the subject [Forum ID 270746] Router keeps rebooting randomly. In either case, be sure to provide the following information:

1. How many devices are connected to the router, wired, and wirelessly? 

2. Is there any other setting or feature in your network that may cause this restart issue, or is there any special operation/activity in your network that causes the router to restart?

3. Does this issue happen when you purchased the router, or does it happen after running properly for some time?

4. Take and send a video recording of the router restarting process, Pipe Scaffolding in New York

Options
2022-03-21 07:18:50

EmmaBrook wrote

I am facing same problem. I search on the internet and land on that thread. Thanks all of you.

@EmmaBrook 

What is the model of your TP-Link device? Have you gone through the troubleshooting suggestions we provided in my original post?

Options
2022-05-09 15:34:19

@Kevin_Z 

For those who have a tp-link router restarting, you are all lucky! My quite expensive AC3150 shutting down and only solution is to manually turn it off and turn on again.

It's already out of warranty, should I still contact tp-link or just use the router for target practice? 

I have the original adapter, only 5 device connected, there is no such function in the menu "auto shutdown", using the latest firmware. 

Options
2022-05-13 09:29:43

@Kevin_Z 

Hello, 

I was facing same issue with Archer A6 and C6 ( Version 3.20 ) even in March 2022. Router was rebooting randomly with all LEDs getting off and then again starting within 1 or 2 minutes automatically.   I followed all the process mentioned in the troubleshooting tips but didn't workout for me. I took help of technical support and did all they asked me to try like below

1. Upgrading Firmware to latest available version

2. Change Power socket

3. Put Router to a different room

4. Replace the router 

5  Replace the adapter 

etc  

I personally visited the service center 2 times and got my router replaced two times . I also got replacement of my power adapter . So effectively tried with 3 router . Archer A6 the original one which i bought , then with replaced Archer A6 and then with another Archer c6.

For all face the same issue 

I had one of my old single band TP-link router (N series )  . when I tried with that , I didn't have any problem at all. So I was almost sure that this is something related to this Archer a6/c6 but got surprised to the fact how  can 3 router has same problem. After lot of Interaction with support team , one person installed me a Beta Firmware which is not publicly available yet.  AND ...... It's magic Problem solved.  I am happy .  I came to know from my ISP also that TP-link archera6/c6 model has similar complaint.  It would be great if TP link publish that kind of fix for general use in the latest available firmware so that everybody gets the benefit.

Thanks  

Options
2022-05-16 12:01:55

Hello @ArcherC6_user 

Thank you very much for sharing the solution with the community, and it's glad to hear the reboot issue gets resolved by installing a beta firmware. We would feedback to the engineer and ask for a final solution. Please keep an eye on the local website for any updates.

Options
2022-06-13 11:32:16
Dear Kevin, Thanks for the solution. My new bought AX73 and then upgraded to the latest firmware also faced WAN_on/off every hour, and drived me crazy.. I think you should tell ENGs to set "Reboot Schedule" as default enable in the latest version of firmware. Maybe the AP would keeping reboot due to the null setting in the program.. Thanks again,
Options
2022-06-15 11:33:37

Rodney_F wrote

Dear Kevin, Thanks for the solution. My new bought AX73 and then upgraded to the latest firmware also faced WAN_on/off every hour, and drived me crazy.. I think you should tell ENGs to set "Reboot Schedule" as default enable in the latest version of firmware. Maybe the AP would keeping reboot due to the null setting in the program.. Thanks again,

@Rodney_F Thank you for your suggestion. While I honestly don't agree it's a good idea to enable Reboot Schedule by default, as not all users would be aware of this setting and they may think it's an issue when the router reboots.

Regarding the WAN_on/off issue on your AX73, can you please confirm if you are experiencing a dropout? Do you enable the Reboot Schedule? Will the internet LED on the AX73 change orange when you notice a dropout? I would suggest sending the system log on the AX73 to support.forum@tp-link.com, then our engineers may investigate then suggest.

Options
2022-06-16 06:14:50

@Kevin_Z 

Options
2022-06-26 16:25:51 - last edited 2022-06-26 16:27:42

@Kevin_Z 

Dear all,

I have the exact type of issues with my Archer AC2300 Gigabyt Router. Half a year ago(or even more) it started automatically rebooting/restarting. 

Already tried all the solutions in the thread you proposed - still doing the same. I do not even have logs, apart from the attached image because everytime it restarts itself the logs get cleared. It literally restarts itself and in 2 minutes its working again.  Issue persists even after trying all the solutions(power outlet/etc. etc.)

This problem started ~ 9 months after I bought the router - in the beginning it was working properly. See below the firmware version/etc. I am based in Europe, Romania. I already know everything - autoreboot is off/etc etc etc. pls dont give me the same reply.

When it restarts, the LED lights go off, the Power LED flashes for a few seconds and then the others come up after a few seconds and it starts working again. 

I kept checking for firmaware updates maybe it got fixed, but nothing. It sometimes happens several times a day, other time it works fine for a few days and then it restarts, it is extremely random and annoying. Weirdest part is it worked perfectly fine for the first 9 months.

Pls help me solve this. Thanks.

Options
2022-06-27 05:34:06

@BcsAlx 

Have you tried all the suggestions in my original post? If none helps, I would suggest you report the issue via email to the local tech support by providing the troubleshooting you've done and its results, they should be able to suggest further:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#E-mail-Support

Options
Related Articles