Deco M5 to work only when Wi-Fi is activated manually on the router (Genexis) .

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-19 11:46:41
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

Hi Support and Experts

I have a few questions regarding Deco M5 (3 pack).

I will have M5 to work only when I manually activate Wi-Fi on my router (Genexis).

Followed the instructions and the setup went smooth. Easy-peacy! :)

At the moment I have a LAN-cable from the router to the firs M5 and Router-mode.

I have used my resent network name, and WAP KEY as password

1 Must the first M5 be connected with LAN-cable to the router (the other 2 is set up wireless)?

2 How do I configure M5 in the Deco-app?

Should I choose Router- or AP-mode? (Remeber I am a senior and complicated words in a replay could cause unexpected results :)!)

3 When I configure M5 in the app, should I use the same network name (SSID) as I use on the router (Genexis) or it doesn’t matter? Can call the network «M5WIFI» a.e.?

4 Should the password for M5 network be the same as WPA KEY (router password), or it doesn’t matter? Can call it «EXCALIBUR589» a.e.?

5 If I can use another network name and another password, will that mean that I have to logg in with this new information if I shall connect a new device to the «M5»-network?

6 Or, is the solution as simple as to pull out the LAN-cable from the first M5? :)

Because, now I have disconnected the Wi-Fi on the router but I still have Wi-Fi/Internet available, and the Deco-app shows all 3pc M5’s and connected devices (phones, lawn mower, chromecats etc).

Do you have any solutions how to configure the M5-devices so they only work when I manually activate Wi-Fi on my router (Genexis)?

Best summer regards

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 to work only when Wi-Fi is activated manually on the router (Genexis) .
2021-07-19 13:42:24

@Senioruser 

1 Must the first M5 be connected with LAN-cable to the router (the other 2 is set up wireless)?

Yes, it must.

2 How do I configure M5 in the Deco-app?

Should I choose Router- or AP-mode? (Remeber I am a senior and complicated words in a replay could cause unexpected results :)!)

If you want it simple and bought Deco for WiFi coverage only (not for parental controls, antivirus, etc.) - choose AP mode.

3 When I configure M5 in the app, should I use the same network name (SSID) as I use on the router (Genexis) or it doesn’t matter? Can call the network «M5WIFI» a.e.?

You should use different SSID for Deco

4 Should the password for M5 network be the same as WPA KEY (router password), or it doesn’t matter? Can call it «EXCALIBUR589» a.e.?

It does not matter.

5 If I can use another network name and another password, will that mean that I have to logg in with this new information if I shall connect a new device to the «M5»-network?

Yes, you will need to connect your devices to that new SSID which is Deco WiFi network, but it will be one time thing.

6 Or, is the solution as simple as to pull out the LAN-cable from the first M5?

I do not understand what this solution is for. Can you rephrase?

I will have M5 to work only when I manually activate Wi-Fi on my router (Genexis).

Same here. I do not understand what you are trying to achieve. 

Options
Re:Deco M5 to work only when Wi-Fi is activated manually on the router (Genexis) .
2021-07-19 16:22:23

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre

I changed to AP and the M5’s restarted (green light = OK) and I have an active Wi-Fi in my house, but…. I have yet NOT activated Wi-Fi on my router!

How can the M5 Wi-Fi network be active , when I don’t have activated Wi-Fi on my router?

My pt 6 in previous mail: Or, is the solution as simple as to pull out the LAN-cable from the first M5?

Here I explain what I mean with my question no 6: As mentioned above the M5 Wi-Fi network is active, even if I don’t have activated Wi-Fi on my router, but…. when I pull out the LAN cable from the M5 (which is connected to the router with a LAN-cable), then the Wi-Fi is beeing deactivated from the M5 Wi-Fi network (and I have of course no Wi-Fi at all as it also is deactivated on my router).

To me it looks like the Deco M5 is overriding my router when it comes to Wi-Fi. Is that what happen?

So to the last question in my earlier mail: I will have M5 to work only when I manually activate Wi-Fi on my router (Genexis).

Here I explain what I mean: The M5 network shall start to work when I activate Wi-Fi in my router, not the “opposite” When I deactivate Wi-Fi in my router, then the M5 network should also be deactivated.

My router should desire when then Wi-Fi should be active, no M5.

I hope this was a better description of my problem :)

Bet regards

Options
2021-07-19 17:11:22

@Senioruser 

Deco mesh and your router provide two different, independent from each other, WiFi networks. Deco does not extend router WiFi network and router WiFi signal, Deco runs its own WiFi.

For that reason it is recommended to turn off WiFi on ISP router after successfully deploying Deco mesh: you don't need two different WIFi networks in your house, you only need one.

> The M5 network shall start to work when I activate Wi-Fi in my router, not the “opposite” When I deactivate Wi-Fi in my router, then the M5 network should also be deactivated.

You can't do that with Deco.

Options
2021-07-19 19:16:19

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre

I got it !!!

Thanks for your explanation. That cleared up a lot.

Can I TURN OFF Wi-Fi with the Deco-app?

I can only de-activate either 2,5 MHz or 5 Mhz, but not both.

(I will not have Wi-Fi activated all the time).

Best regards

Options
2021-07-20 00:24:12

@Senioruser 

It is not possible to fully turn off WiFi in Deco mesh through Deco app. 

The only way I can think of is to get outlet timers, mechanical or smart plugs, set on/off schedule on them and connect Deco units through them. This will power off Deco units at specific times, and power them on. When Deco units are off their WiFi will be off, too, obviously.

If you like that idea and go for smart plugs, look for those that can remember schedule when WiFi is off. When Decos are down WiFi will be down, too.

Options