Is Rate Limit based on SSID no longer an option??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-20 03:31:16 - last edited 2021-07-23 12:32:33
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 4.3.5

I just got an OC200 Omada controller and EAP110-Outdoor V3 with which I would like to setup a public hotspot with some specific limitations. Updated firmware on both (4.3.5, 5.0.1, respectively).

I saw this article from TP-Link before buying, which is less than 2 years old and says 'Suitable for: Omada Controller 2.5.1 or above and EAP products with corresponding firmware' : https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/914/

Is the "Rate Limit Based on SSID" option described there no longer available??

I have found the option for limiting per-client and verified it works as described, but I specifically want to implement both. For example, 1mbps per client, but cap the SSID at 10mbps.

If it's just gone, is it realistic to downgrade firmware to a good version that still had this feature which I find critical for my goals?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is Rate Limit based on SSID no longer an option??-Solution
2021-07-20 15:54:20 - last edited 2021-07-23 12:32:33

@bt382 

Hey

That is sadly not the case, a controller (even the old version) is just a controller.  All it really does is tell the hardware to configure or work in a certain way, it never has or will do anything itself directly. 

It's for that reason it's assumed you have the appropriate hardware to do this.  What you are trying to achieve with different speeds for different networks will require you to create VLANs, to create a VLAN you require a gateway and VLAN capable switches.

If you want to do this you would be required to purchase

TL-R605 - Gateway router to control the network traffic and terminate the VLANs

TL-SG2008P to handle the VLAN traffic and apply flow controls at switch level

With those 2x devices you could do what you require, namely create multiple VLANs with different rates and controls for each all trunked via one single backhaul.

I tend to agree that the article isn't clear on that, but to play devils advocate, for a moment.. the article is written for business grade hardware and therefore likely assumes the reader is familiar with the required ecosystem and technologies.   Once you start to introduce bandwidth controls at network level and client level you are heading into more advanced configuration that, imho most home users wouldnt require or need.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Is Rate Limit based on SSID no longer an option??
2021-07-20 08:29:42

@bt382 

It should still be do-able - haven't tested this however :)

Under settings for the Wireless Network set or create a new rate limit.  This will be per device connected so 1mbps

Now under TRANSMISSION > BANDWIDTH CONTROL you can create a new limit for the network you require..

example below is applied to the GUEST VLAN for example.  The entire vlan will share 10mbps

Options
2021-07-20 13:08:07

@Philbert  Thank you very much for the reply!  However, everything under Transmission is telling me "Gateway Required", the only Omada equipment I have is the OC200 and EAP110-Outdoor and it seemed from that FAQ article that would be all that is required.

Options
2021-07-20 14:33:33 - last edited 2021-07-20 14:44:17

@bt382 

Ah ok that makes more sense

The EAP110 is literally just an AP and therefore can only rate limit clients attached to it (1mpbs per client in your case). 

To control the limit that an AP or network has as a whole would require a gateway to be added and possibly a switch.   With only an AP you cannot control the backhaul network and therefore cannot set the 10mbps limit you require.

However, there may be a workaround for you....  if you have the AP connected to your ISP router, and if this is possible.. you could override the speed on the port the AP is connected too therefore force this to connect at 10mbps (rather than 100/1000 or auto).  This should have the same effect in principal but would restrict ALL SSIDs being broadcast from at AP, I would attempt this from the Router side first.

Options
2021-07-20 14:51:27 - last edited 2021-07-20 14:52:30

@Philbert   thank you again for the reply.  If that's the case, that FAQ article is at the very least poorly written; it sure sounds as though the OC200 controller is (was?) capable of both SSID and Client limiting seperately.  

As for your other suggestion, unfortunately that does not achieve my desired result as I would like to have another SSID from the same AP which is not limited.  (example; 20mbps from the ISP, one SSID for many low priority users to share up to 10mbps total, and a second SSID for just one high priority user to have sole access to the remaining 10mbps.)

Options
Re:Is Rate Limit based on SSID no longer an option??-Solution
2021-07-20 15:54:20 - last edited 2021-07-23 12:32:33

@bt382 

Hey

That is sadly not the case, a controller (even the old version) is just a controller.  All it really does is tell the hardware to configure or work in a certain way, it never has or will do anything itself directly. 

It's for that reason it's assumed you have the appropriate hardware to do this.  What you are trying to achieve with different speeds for different networks will require you to create VLANs, to create a VLAN you require a gateway and VLAN capable switches.

If you want to do this you would be required to purchase

TL-R605 - Gateway router to control the network traffic and terminate the VLANs

TL-SG2008P to handle the VLAN traffic and apply flow controls at switch level

With those 2x devices you could do what you require, namely create multiple VLANs with different rates and controls for each all trunked via one single backhaul.

I tend to agree that the article isn't clear on that, but to play devils advocate, for a moment.. the article is written for business grade hardware and therefore likely assumes the reader is familiar with the required ecosystem and technologies.   Once you start to introduce bandwidth controls at network level and client level you are heading into more advanced configuration that, imho most home users wouldnt require or need.

Recommended Solution
Options