Need home network advise

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Need home network advise

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Need home network advise
Need home network advise
2021-07-24 13:47:13 - last edited 2021-07-24 13:49:28

Hello, new home, new challenges. 

Currently camping out while getting new home set up. 

Needed a network quickly so got xfinity (only isp available), a NETGEAR Nighthawk cable modem, and a 2 pack tp-link M9 wireless router. 

My aim is to add hardwired devices to this bare bone system. 

5 rooms have been retrofitted with ethernet wiring that all come into a powered control panel into my office. 

Thought at thus point all I would need to do is add a switch between modem and ethernet inputs and done. 

Reading up on this, however, paints a different picture, where it's required to put the M9 router between the modem and switch? 

Can someone confirm this as correct? 

Also, how in the heck would I arrange all of this in this control panel? All of this would require a surge protected power strip, the modem, the switch, somehow getting the router connected (power in control box)... 

how can all this stuff be located? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Need home network advise
2021-07-24 14:56:52 - last edited 2021-07-24 14:58:02

@KarlKras2 

Do you have NETGEAR Nighthawk cable modem, or NETGEAR Nighthawk cable modem router combo? What is the model number of that device?

If you only have NETGEAR Nighthawk cable modem, you do realize that you must provide your router, right?

That router must be after Netgear modem, but before the rest of your home network. If you want to use Main Deco in router mode, that would look like this:

Options
2021-07-24 15:34:52

@Alexandre. 

So, it shows you how naive I am. I heard the m9 described as a "router" but apparently this is in context of routing wifi, not LAN traffic. Okay... everyone laugh 🤣

Crap, so even more hardware. 

Options
2021-07-24 15:47:17 - last edited 2021-07-24 15:47:52

@KarlKras2 

Deco M9 can be used as standard router, this is default configuration. Perhaps, I should have updated last picture like this:

Hopefully it is clear now. Deco router or other brand router, you MUST have router between cable modem and rest of your network.

Still, there is another option. If you only needed Deco mesh for WiFi signal, meaning you don't need parental controls and antivirus, get yourself  NETGEAR Nighthawk cable modem router combo. One device - both modem and router. You might need to pay more for that, and you will have to return NETGEAR Nighthawk cable modem, of course.

If you do that, you can connect Ethernet cables to Netgear modem/router combo, configure Deco in Access Point mode to provide WiFi and can place Deco wherever you want, as long as they are wired to your home network.

Options
2021-07-24 16:37:05

@Alexandre. 

Well, given that I purchased the Nighthawk non-router version because of my understanding of this being handled by the m9, I think the former option is what I'm going to work with. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 448

Replies: 4

Related Articles