Deco S4 and Seagate Personal Cloud NAS issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-24 14:27:55 - last edited 2021-07-26 10:48:01
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

I'm really stumped on this one. 

I've just installed a Deco S4 mesh network at home (3 units) - I'm on Virgin and have switched the Virgin hub over to modem mode.  Everything works seamlessly apart from the NAS drive which appears to have disappeared altogether.  

The light on the drive says all is well and it's connected but I can't find it, the app for it won't find it either.  The old IP address I had for it was probably fixed (192.168.0.38) but now the Deco network is on a different range to that (192.168.68.xx).  I've seen loads of suggestions, tried most of them, changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 etc but still can't find it and Seagate aren't very helpful.

It's the Seagate Personal Cloud - any help would be much appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco S4 and Seagate Personal Cloud NAS issues-Solution
2021-07-24 14:47:15 - last edited 2021-07-26 10:48:01

@CooperDJ 

The correct procedure for making Seagate NAS join Deco network is the following:

1. Undo NAS fixed IP address configuration. Make NAS request dynamic IP address from DHCP.

2. After you see NAS in Deco app, configure it in Deco app with fixed IP address. See this FAQ: How to configure Address Reservation with Deco?

-----------

Note that because Deco mesh provides IP addresses in 192.168.68.* range, your NAS must be configured with IP address from that range. You can just leave whatever IP Deco initially allocated for it.

If you have hardcoded folder links to NAS with previous IP address, you'll have to update them. 

If you can't gain access to NAS now, you may have to rollback you S4 mesh deployment first. Turn all Deco S4 off and configure Virgin hub back in router mode. Restore how NAS was wired to the home network before Deco.

That should bring access to NAS back. After you gained access, execute Step 1 from the above. Verify it is successful, then change Virgin hub back to modem, undo rollback. 

Power off NAS, after shutdown pull its power cord, plug it back in after 1-2 minutes. Power NAS back on. Proceed with Step 2.

----

If you don't know how to change fixed to dynamic IP address in Seagate NAS, you'll have to check Seagate NAS user manual documentation. Look under Network Settings/Change the IP configuration.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco S4 and Seagate Personal Cloud NAS issues-Solution
2021-07-24 14:47:15 - last edited 2021-07-26 10:48:01

@CooperDJ 

The correct procedure for making Seagate NAS join Deco network is the following:

1. Undo NAS fixed IP address configuration. Make NAS request dynamic IP address from DHCP.

2. After you see NAS in Deco app, configure it in Deco app with fixed IP address. See this FAQ: How to configure Address Reservation with Deco?

-----------

Note that because Deco mesh provides IP addresses in 192.168.68.* range, your NAS must be configured with IP address from that range. You can just leave whatever IP Deco initially allocated for it.

If you have hardcoded folder links to NAS with previous IP address, you'll have to update them. 

If you can't gain access to NAS now, you may have to rollback you S4 mesh deployment first. Turn all Deco S4 off and configure Virgin hub back in router mode. Restore how NAS was wired to the home network before Deco.

That should bring access to NAS back. After you gained access, execute Step 1 from the above. Verify it is successful, then change Virgin hub back to modem, undo rollback. 

Power off NAS, after shutdown pull its power cord, plug it back in after 1-2 minutes. Power NAS back on. Proceed with Step 2.

----

If you don't know how to change fixed to dynamic IP address in Seagate NAS, you'll have to check Seagate NAS user manual documentation. Look under Network Settings/Change the IP configuration.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco S4 and Seagate Personal Cloud NAS issues
2021-07-26 08:58:01

@Alexandre. 

What a superbly detailed reply - really appreciate it.  I'm going to desperately try and find a way to change the fixed IP on it withouth rolling back the S4 installation but thanks so much for your help.  So many forums I'd have just got no response or something sarcastic saying "read the instructions" 

Options
Re:Deco S4 and Seagate Personal Cloud NAS issues
2021-07-26 10:47:49
Quick update - you can actually achieve this without rolling back the installation, reset the network settings on the personal cloud using the pinhole in the back. This then appears and you can set it up from scratch. It keeps all your old data, just moves it into the public/recovery folder so you can drag it all out of there into your old folders and it's back to normal
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 787

Replies: 3