Installing an Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-01 22:22:39 - last edited 2021-08-02 05:49:15
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a question relating to installing an EAP245 or similar

My home network is set up as follows:
- NetCommWireless router supplied by my broadband provider. This sits in the garage, as that was the only place free for a cabinet, but the garage is attached to the house and has internal access. The house is all on one level.
- 2 unmanaged switches, one of which has PoE+ capability (DGS-1008P - D-Link 8-Port Gigabit PoE+).
- The house is wired with Cat 6 cabling for computers/TV etc.

- iPads use the WiFi from the router (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz)

In the bedroom part of the house (which is where the garage access is) I can get both 2.4 & 5GHz, but in the rest of the house I can only get 2.4 which means the iPad switches in and out if I move through the house.

I was thinking of turning off the router WiFi and putting in an Access Point (TP-Link EAP 245) to supply the WiFi. 
I would use an Cat 6 ethernet cable with PoE, but can that be plugged into a PoE port on the unmanaged switch, or does it have to be plugged into the router?

Thanks 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Installing an Access Point
2021-08-02 09:11:32 - last edited 2021-08-02 09:12:55

@Fieldmouse48 

Do-able. You can turn off the WiFi and use EAP to replace that.

The basic setup would be: Router----PoE switch-----EAP or Router-----Switch-----PoE adapter---EAP

As long as the switch gets Internet from the router, it works as an Ethernet port extender. So, you can wire it to the switch.

Check their installation guide before you buy. 

Support page of EAP245: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/eap245/#Controller_Software

Installation video: https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/WFfaf-dyl2o

BTW, check the POE supply from the PoE switch. Make sure they're compatible.

EAP is using 

• 802.3af/at PoE
• 48V Passive PoE (+4,5pins; -7,8pins. PoE Adapter Included)

Options
2021-08-02 21:33:21

@Yannie 

Thanks heaps. I am concerned about the voltage though. Both the EAP and the switch (DGS-1008P - D-Link 8-Port Gigabit PoE+) say PoE+ so in theory they should be compatible, but I have looked at a number of websites and they mention wattage but not voltage

e.g. from https://www.impulsegamer.com/d-link-8-port-gigabit-desktop-switch-dgs-1008p-review/  it says

Features

• Eight 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet switch ports
  • Four of the eight Gigabit Ethernet ports can power compatible devices, such as IP cameras, IP phones, and wireless access points
  • Supports up to 52 Watts across the 4 PoE ports and up to 15.4 watts per port for individual usage
  • Built-in D-Link Green Technology tells the switch to power-off any ports that aren’t used and also reduces the amount of power sent through a connected Ethernet cable when that cable is shorter
  • IEEE 802.1p QoS for Automatic traffic prioritization
  • Sends power to IEEE 802.3af PoE-enabled devices over standard RJ-45 Ethernet cabling
  • Up to 1Gbps of dedicated bandwidth per port and up to 2Gbps bandwidth in Full-Duplex Mode
  • Jumbo Frame support of up to 9720 bytes
  • Auto MDI/MDI-X Crossover for all Ports
  • IEEE 802.3x Flow Control
  • Compatible with virtually any operating system
  • Supports MAC address learning
  • Plug-and-Play installation
  • Limited lifetime warranty

and from https://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/DGS-1008P-8-port-gigabit-poe-unmanaged-switch  it says 

Power over Ethernet

The DGS-1008P features four 10/100/1000BASE-T ports that support the IEEE 802.3af and IEEE 802.3at PoE protocols, enabling these ports to supply up to 30 W of power to connected devices for a total PoE power budget of 68 W. This allows compatible devices to be connected without requiring an additional power supply, saving on cabling and allowing devices to be installed in locations without immediate access to power outlets.

Options
2021-08-03 00:58:06

@Fieldmouse48 

If you're gonna use the PoE, just one cable supply power and Internet, I don't think this is a problem. PoE is a protocol that auto-negotiates with the EAP(or other PoE devices).

I remember I read some threads saying PoE devices are asking for the power. PoE switch only supplies power when PoE devices ask for it.

And, there are PoE, PoE+, PoE++. They're just different power supplies. PoE++ include the PoE. It is downward compatible. If you have a PoE+ switch, it does not mean it will fry your PoE devices with its 30W.

I think you're okay with the switch. wink

Options
2021-08-03 12:23:09 - last edited 2021-08-03 12:25:38

@Yannie 

Just to confirm what Yannie is saying, it will work fine

POE++ was just the replacement for POE+    Which was the replacement for POE   etc etc..   Each time they increase the maximum wattage available to devices, but they are compatible with the older devices, you won't have any issues here.

In terms of wattage, its easy to calculate!

It literally is the amps x volts.   Take the EAP225 for example, its 10 / 12 watts depending on where you live, with 24volts

Quick bit of maths,  0.5amp  x  24volts   =  around 12watt  

This is obviously depend on load, use, region etc but that's a quick guide to covert to wattage for you.

The reason they use wattage now is, its just easier!  If you have a POE switch that can handle 60watts total (this is quite common), then you know you can run 5 devices that demand 12w   OR  10 devices that pull 6 watts   etc etc.

Hope that helps!

Options
2021-08-03 20:48:50

@Fieldmouse48 

Thanks guys

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 718

Replies: 5

Related Articles