Deco M5 AP mode + Archer C7 router as main end up with 2 wifi networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-02 13:22:59
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi folks, might be a dummy question but I just setup my network mesh using Archer C7 as main working in router mode and 2 Deco M5 devices configured in AP mode to spread the signal.

I end up having 2 wifi networks - 1 from the Decos and 1 from the C7. I am confused - which one should I use? Is this expected to have 2 networks? Can I turn off one of them?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 AP mode + Archer C7 router as main end up with 2 wifi networks
2021-08-02 15:17:22

@mdzh 

You should turn off WiFi in Archer C7 and only use WiFi from Deco.

Archer C7 router manages your home network (IP address allocations, etc., etc.) while Deco in AP mode covers your place with WiFi signal.

Options
2021-08-02 15:56:02

@Alexandre. If I turn off wifi on the archer how am I supposed to log into the management panel? Since the C7 holds my ISP settings, port forwardings and so on I might want to have access to those. How do I do that with wifi off? Only with ethernet?

Options
2021-08-02 16:00:09

@mdzh 

Before I answer that, please tell if you configured Deco WiFi with same SSID as Archer WiFi, or they have different SSID?

Options
2021-08-02 16:02:48
They have different SSIDs. I can see both networks and connect to them accordingly. Is it bad if I leave the C7 on? Will they interfere? I really need the management panel of the C7 sometimes
Options
2021-08-02 16:11:23 - last edited 2021-08-02 16:11:36

@mdzh 

If they have different SSIDs, the process is simple:

1. Connect wireless device you use to manage Archer (laptop, tablet, smartphone) to Deco SSID;

2. Access Archer management page from that device, you should be able to;

3. Turn off Archer WiFi through management page;

4. Your wireless device stays connected to Deco SSID and obviously you still have access to Archer management panel.

Done.

This is how my home network is set up: ISP router with its WiFi turned off, Deco running in AP mode, I have access to ISP router management pages on devices connected to Deco WiFi.

You can keep Archer router WiFi on, but you are going to have two strong WiFi signals, from Archer and from Deco, potentially interfering with each other. As long as you don't mind that, does not matter much. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 691

Replies: 5