I recently purchased an Archer C80 to replace my BT Home Hub 4.
I've set everything up but the Archer refuses to give me an internet connection. The internet LED is red. I am using an ADSL broadband (not fibre) connection, which is connected to a separate TP-Link (TD-W9970) which is set to bridge mode. The TD-W9970 is connected to my Archer via WAN. My TD-W9970 has an internet connection and I have confirmed when connecting it to my PC, I have access to the internet. It doesn't do this in bridge mode (which I will assume is intentional; a bridge mode router is not designed to operate directly into a computer, correct?).
Carrying on, my TD-W9970 is connected to my Archer via the WAN port. The Archer works fine and all the settings appear functional but I have no internet connection. I have contacted BT and they confirmed there is no configuration error or the sort on the line which should prevent my router from working (such as it having a MAC address registered, which I explicitly asked about). I have tried the following too to get my connection to work, but to no avail:
- Setting the Archer to Dynamic IP yields no result.
- Setting the Archer to PPPoE does not work. I have ensured the login (email@example.com and the password BT) is correct.
- Setting the VLAN ID to 101, as many users on the BT forums advised. This has not helped. The two VLAN ids other than Internet (IPTV and VoIP) were set to random values since I assume they do not matter.
- I've tried switching off NAT to see if it resolved any issues, but it did not.
- Factory resetting both routers and redoing the process
- Power cycling both routers (the bridge only router first, then the Archer)
A small query, I'm told I should be using PPPoA, but this router only has PPPoE available. Does this matter? As long as I'm routing the ADSL through my TD-W9970, PPPoE should work, correct?
I'm incredibly stuck at this point and have no idea why the Archer refuses to acknowledge my bridge connection. I've been at this all evening to no avail. Does anybody have a solution or some advice?