Deco M9 plus - is this AP setup possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-07 08:26:34 - last edited 2021-08-24 08:08:57
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hello all,

I have 9 M9 Plus units and I wanted to use them all as access points since all the floors have wired LAN sockets in every room connected to my home DHCP router; I hoped to set up my wireless network in a way that each M9 is wired to the wall and act as a simple AP in the following way:

is this setup possible?

Thank you all in advance!

Best,

Ram

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M9 plus - is this AP setup possible?-Solution
2021-08-11 11:48:31 - last edited 2021-08-24 08:08:57

@ram.sh 

>"Router"'s LED is steady green while the "Office" LED is flashing blue...

Blinking blue may be a problem. Satellite Deco, just like Main Deco, will have solid green after it is properly configured and joined Deco mesh. See What do the different LED colors meaning of Deco? 

I am not sure why do you already see Office Deco in Deco app, because blinking blue means it is ready for configuration, not configured yet.

What I would suggest is to remove Office Deco from the Deco mesh in Deco app, power it off afterwards and put aside. Then, try to add different, previously unused, Deco unit to your mesh, you said you'll have up to 9.

This is how I added new Satellite Deco to my Deco mesh: take new, not used before, Deco unit, bring it to the same room where Main Deco is, place in direct unobstructed view of Main Deco, more than 1 but less than 4-5 feet away.

Do not connect Satellite Deco to Ethernet, let it communicate with Main Deco through WiFi. Power on Satellite Deco. Find it in Deco app and add it to mesh according to instructions from the manual and in Deco app. Wait till Satellite Deco successfully added to the mesh, you see it in Deco app and its LED should be solid green.

After that, power it off, take it to its permanent place, connect to Ethernet cable and power on. You may need to wait a bit for it to finish startup process, also LED may switch from Yellow to Green to Red and to Green again, and it may take few minutes. When LED is finally solid Green and stays that way, check in Deco app if Satellite Deco uses WiFi or Ethernet as backhaul.

As long as you do not have solid green LED on your Satellite Deco, it is irrelevant what backhaul it is using, because it has bigger issue: not properly configured yet.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco M9 plus - is this AP setup possible?
2021-08-07 12:17:35

@ram.sh 

Yes, this setup will work just fine, as long as networking switch is compatible. You can read more about it here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2021-08-08 06:53:29

@Alexandre. 

Many thanks for your reply!

I'll try it today and keep you posted.

Best,

RS

Options
2021-08-08 13:17:27

@ram.sh 

If you haven't started yet, I have recommendation on deployment. By default, Deco mesh is configured in Router mode. For your setup to work, it must be in Access Point mode.

After you configured your first Deco, which will be your Main Deco, use Deco app on smartphone to change Deco Operating Mode to Access Point. After that, continue adding Deco M9 units to your mesh.

Options
2021-08-10 15:25:56

Hello all, I tried to set my network as described above but I probably missing something, for testing purposes I set my main deco connected to my router and called that deco "Router", I connected another deco to the network named "Office", this one is connected to the wall however it gets its internet connection from the air as you can see in the screenshot:

In the How do I know if Ethernet Backhaul takes effect? it shows an Ethernet connection:

while in my case it shows WiFi connection, what is it I'm missing here?

Thanks again!

Ram

Options
2021-08-10 15:49:38 - last edited 2021-08-10 16:08:49

@ram.sh 

Would you please redraw your original picture with Main Deco (one that you named Router) and Office Deco, and repost it, for better understanding. I'd like to see where Main Deco and Office Deco are in this picture. Especially, in regard to ISP Router and to networking switch.

Also, is this part of picture correct:

The way it is drawn appears as if these Ethernet cables above the switch are not connected to the switch. They actually are, aren't they?

Finally, what is brand and model name of the switch on that picture?

Options
2021-08-11 06:43:09

Alexandre. wrote

@ram.sh 

Would you please redraw your original picture with Main Deco (one that you named Router) and Office Deco, and repost it, for better understanding. I'd like to see where Main Deco and Office Deco are in this picture. Especially, in regard to ISP Router and to networking switch.

Also, is this part of picture correct:

The way it is drawn appears as if these Ethernet cables above the switch are not connected to the switch. They actually are, aren't they?

good morning, the Ethernet cables are all connected to the switch, its my lame graphic output that wasn't accurate, this is the current setup:

"Router"'s LED is steady green while the "Office" LED is flashing blue...

Alexandre. wrote

Finally, what is brand and model name of the switch on that picture?

I'll be again there later today and will post that information and photos.

have a good one!

R

Options
Re:Deco M9 plus - is this AP setup possible?-Solution
2021-08-11 11:48:31 - last edited 2021-08-24 08:08:57

@ram.sh 

>"Router"'s LED is steady green while the "Office" LED is flashing blue...

Blinking blue may be a problem. Satellite Deco, just like Main Deco, will have solid green after it is properly configured and joined Deco mesh. See What do the different LED colors meaning of Deco? 

I am not sure why do you already see Office Deco in Deco app, because blinking blue means it is ready for configuration, not configured yet.

What I would suggest is to remove Office Deco from the Deco mesh in Deco app, power it off afterwards and put aside. Then, try to add different, previously unused, Deco unit to your mesh, you said you'll have up to 9.

This is how I added new Satellite Deco to my Deco mesh: take new, not used before, Deco unit, bring it to the same room where Main Deco is, place in direct unobstructed view of Main Deco, more than 1 but less than 4-5 feet away.

Do not connect Satellite Deco to Ethernet, let it communicate with Main Deco through WiFi. Power on Satellite Deco. Find it in Deco app and add it to mesh according to instructions from the manual and in Deco app. Wait till Satellite Deco successfully added to the mesh, you see it in Deco app and its LED should be solid green.

After that, power it off, take it to its permanent place, connect to Ethernet cable and power on. You may need to wait a bit for it to finish startup process, also LED may switch from Yellow to Green to Red and to Green again, and it may take few minutes. When LED is finally solid Green and stays that way, check in Deco app if Satellite Deco uses WiFi or Ethernet as backhaul.

As long as you do not have solid green LED on your Satellite Deco, it is irrelevant what backhaul it is using, because it has bigger issue: not properly configured yet.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-24 08:11:37

@Alexandre. Thank you for your suggestion, all is working as planned.

many thanks for your support!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 803

Replies: 8

Related Articles