Operation Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Operation Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Operation Mode
Operation Mode
2021-08-10 23:21:44 - last edited 2021-08-16 09:22:35
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(4555)

At the moment I have 3 routers connected into a Home network

A ZYXEL router XMG3927-B50A is my Gateway/router which is connected by LAN with cat5e

To a TP-Link Archer AX50 (LAN) then from the ZYXEL again from LAN to another TP-Link Archer AX50 this time this cable is cat6

ZYXEL ip is 192.168.1.1

1st Archer AX50 ip is 192.168.1.2

2nd Archer AX50 ip is 192.168.1.3

DHCP is switched off in both Archer AX50`s. All seems to be working well I have different SSID names for all Wi-Fi chs on all routers.  I can log into any routers all is working. Good Wi-Fi all over house/garden. So no problem.

In the Archers AX50s router settings I have toyed around with `Operation Mode` and ticked `Access Point` and it seems to work OK. My NAS HD works still through this way ok. I can log into each router OK.

My question is what are the main benefits for my system if I left it in this `Operation Mode` and ticked the `Access Point` and had this switched on as opposed to my normal 3 router network. Should I just leave it alone or use this Operation Mode on the Archer AX50s

Many Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Operation Mode-Solution
2021-08-13 15:17:53 - last edited 2021-08-16 09:22:35
Hi. I’ve done what you suggest and switched both AX50`s over to AP mode and connected both AX50`s to WAN inputs. At the moment after 24hrs I`ve not noticed a difference but I will bow to your greater knowledge and I will leave it be, its works and that’s the main point. Many thanks
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Operation Mode
2021-08-11 08:40:53

@bigkenny1a 

Your main benefit from using AX50s in AP mode (Case 1) is avoiding double NAT in your network.

If you set AX50s in router mode the communication between devices connected to different routers can be impossible and may involve port-forwarding to access particular services.

In AP mode your network would be most convenient to troubleshoot and communication between devices connected to different routers would be seamless.

Here's the difference between AP mode and router mode.

For best performance I would suggest to connect AX50s with their WAN port (not LAN) to the Zyxel's LAN ports.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-08-11 22:25:25

@terziyski 

Hi thanks for the input. I`ve seen/read that linking routers as I have done can invite double NAT trouble but I`ve not as I know seen/had any trouble.

I did try the AP mode (but in LAN to LAN) I`ve not tried the WAN way.

I did note that having it in AP mode loses you some things like `Parental Control` and other things. So you think having it connected to WAN (both AX50s) and having AP mode set in both AX50s is the best way?

Many thanks for your help

Options
2021-08-11 23:54:23

@bigkenny1a 

Yes, with the hardware you have I believe so. Here's the difference between router and AP mode.

The features that you need and not available in AP mode, should be enabled on your main Zyxel router (if possible).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-08-12 13:31:29

@terziyski Hi thanks again, Ok I will give it a go later today and see how it goes for a few days. I don`t foresee any problem so will more than likely leave it set in AP mode as you suggest

Options
Re:Operation Mode-Solution
2021-08-13 15:17:53 - last edited 2021-08-16 09:22:35
Hi. I’ve done what you suggest and switched both AX50`s over to AP mode and connected both AX50`s to WAN inputs. At the moment after 24hrs I`ve not noticed a difference but I will bow to your greater knowledge and I will leave it be, its works and that’s the main point. Many thanks
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-29 01:18:36

@bigkenny1a 

just an update on this setup been using it since last message and your spot on. Having it set in AP mode really makes it a better system. I`ve had no problems I get great all round wifi and am 100% happy with this setup now

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1038

Replies: 6

Related Articles