Deco P9 with both Powerline and Ethernet backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-16 17:23:11
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm looking at the Deco P9 as I'm planning on building an office/workshop at the bottom of the garden that will utilise an existing mains supply but has no Cat5 and is beyond the reach of the house wi-fi.

Reading the configuration notes it appears that I should be able to use Powerline backhaul for the remote P9. I'd like to use the P9 nodes in 'Access Point' mode, as I already have a decent DSL router and I'd like to use the ethernet ports on the router rather than add an additional gigabit switch.

What is not clear to me is

1. Will using Powerline on one P9 prevent me from using either wi-fi or Ethernet backhaul between the main P9 and any additional units in the house?
  2. Can the Ethernet backhaul be carried over the home LAN or does it have to be via a dedicated point-point Cat5 cable or a private switch?

Thanks,

Dave

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco P9 with both Powerline and Ethernet backhaul
2021-08-16 19:41:47 - last edited 2021-08-16 19:48:09

@Vumad 

You can find answers on powerline backhaul questions here: General Questions about the Powerline or PLC Backhaul Feature of Deco

There is also useful FAQ for Ethernet backhaul, it is applicable to P9 connected by Ethernet cable to home network: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

> Can the Ethernet backhaul be carried over the home LAN or does it have to be via a dedicated point-point Cat5 cable or a private switch?

With Deco mesh running in Access Point mode, which is what you plan to do, you can connect Deco nodes to any Ethernet port of your home network and they will establish Ethernet backhaul.

In Access Point mode Deco provides maximum flexibility in how its nodes can be connected by Ethernet to home network.

Options