Setting up wifi in new room

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-17 15:46:25

Good morning,

I am not an expert on internet connectivity. We have wireless internet in our two story home (set up by a third party); however there are a number of walls that block the signal to certain areas of the house resulting in poor signal, as well as no signal at all.

To combat this, we have a wifi extender downstairs. From my understanding the internet is connecting from the primary router to this extender through the electrical current permeating throughout the house. However the range of this extender does not connect to all of the rooms downstairs. Therefore we have a smaller extender in another room downstairs to help boost the signal.

I am not really happy with the current set up because we constantly have to change wifi networks whenever moving from upstairs to downstairs and between the two wifi extenders downstairs to get the best signal. It would be ideal to have just one wifi network without the need to change between three different names.

In addition to this, we have recently added two rooms to our house one upstairs and one downstairs and no internet reaches these rooms.

I would be grateful if someone could advise me as to how to:

(1) provide internet to the newly created rooms (hopefully with as much speed as possible to prevent slow internet browsing)

(2) help me to create a situation whereby the entire house is connected by one internet network and not having to change everytime I enter a different room.

(3) help me to find a solution to be able to put the right number of extenders in the right areas throughout the house to best provide internet to each room (baring in mind that the wifi signal gets weaker through the walls and my house has a number of walls that prohibit strong signals from each extender)

Thank you for taking the time to read this message. If anyone is able to help I would be truly greatful.

Sincerely,

Brent

Options
1 Reply
Re:Setting up wifi in new room
2021-08-18 02:58:14

@BrentAnu  Hello, 

As your rooms are in different floors, it is recommended to consider build a wired connection from the extender to main router to ensure stability and also faster speed. (some users have built -in cables in the wall and have an Ethernet port each room, but would be more costly)

Wireless bridge is more suitable for open area on the same floor and speed would be sacrificed due to half duplex and wireless transmission. 

As you prefer to have one SSID and devices could roam from AP to AP, you could consider Deco mesh system, Please check detailed network topology in this FAQ to build an Deco Ethernet connection:  
https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1794/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 361

Replies: 1

Related Articles