Configure subnetworks between main router and deco mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-17 19:36:50 - last edited 2021-09-18 03:50:53
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I'm having trouble connecting devices that are on my main network (managed by my router) and devices that are connected to the mesh network (for example my printer)

If I remember a bit of network when I studied I should be able to define the submasks in either my main router or in the mesh network to allow the devices to see each other but somehow I cannot find that setting in either my main router or the mesh configurations. Can someone help me?

Am I misunderstanding something?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Configure subnetworks between main router and deco mesh-Solution
2021-09-18 00:49:26 - last edited 2021-09-18 03:50:53

@cstmgl 

If you have devices connected to main router, it makes sense to switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode. In that mode, main router manages the whole network, Deco mesh only provides WiFi signal.

In Access Point mode devices will see and communicate with each other regardless of where they are connected in your home network.

This is where configuration setting is in Deco app:

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Configure subnetworks between main router and deco mesh-Solution
2021-09-18 00:49:26 - last edited 2021-09-18 03:50:53

@cstmgl 

If you have devices connected to main router, it makes sense to switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode. In that mode, main router manages the whole network, Deco mesh only provides WiFi signal.

In Access Point mode devices will see and communicate with each other regardless of where they are connected in your home network.

This is where configuration setting is in Deco app:

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Configure subnetworks between main router and deco mesh
2021-09-20 09:17:19

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for the suggestion. I think this would indeed work (even though my dad says the main router is the problem and sometimes messes up the IP assignment of the devices)

I have another question that comes after I read this.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

Mainly I think my main router is a bit crappy, it's from the internet provider and they really configure it in a way that I can't change most things and I don't understand if I can do what I want with the mesh setup

I see in my main mesh that I connect to the router I have 2 Ethernet connections. Can I connect a switch to the second Ethernet and then manage all other connections from that switch?

My idea would be to romeve everything from the main router, use that only for providing the internet connection, and then everything else be in a network managed by my deco device. However I don't understand the point about Ethernet backhaul and what that actually means. Will the Deco stop providing a wifi network if it's providing a Ethernet connection also?

I guess my question is as simple as from the 2 Ethernet connections can I use one as input and two as output?

On my power adapters that works but normally they say which is input and which is output

Options
2021-09-20 09:22:45

I think I want to do something like this

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/207020

The main difference is I want to change the main switch by my main Deco and have everything else in other switchs that are all managed by the main Deco

Not sure this is smart idea or not.

Options
2021-09-20 11:45:23 - last edited 2021-09-20 11:47:19

@cstmgl 

If you want to configure your home network like this, it should work:

Still, you may be adding unnecessary complexity by running Deco in Router mode, behind ISP Router. Also, you are not removing ISP Router from this configuration, so why not to use it if it is there anyway?

When I got my Deco mesh, I set it in Access Point mode and disabled WiFi on my ISP Router. I have found ISP Router performance improved when it does not have to take care of WiFi, also ISP Router used to take up to 5 minutes for reboot and now it reboots under 1 minute.

My ISP router has 4 Ethernet ports, I am using three of them. With Deco mesh in AP mode it is seamless. 

Anyway, your home network - your choice. 

>On my power adapters that works but normally they say which is input and which is output

Deco will autosense which of its two Ethernet ports are connected to ISP Router and which - to home network. You do not need to worry about it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 759

Replies: 4

Related Articles