How to block TikTok from mobile apps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-18 04:34:52
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello TpLink Support,

I'm trying to blocked TikTok during week days so my kids wont burn time on them.

It seems that blocking them by keywords works only for PC, but NOT for mobile apps version.

Can you help ?

Thanks,

Ben

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to block TikTok from mobile apps
2021-09-18 08:41:00

@Ben_Boxed 

Try blocking these URLs:

• v16a.tiktokcdn.com
  • p16-tiktokcdn-com.akamaized.net
  • log.tiktokv.com
  • ib.tiktokv.com
  • api-h2.tiktokv.com
  • v16m.tiktokcdn.com
  • api.tiktokv.com
  • v19.tiktokcdn.com
  • mon.musical.ly
  • api2-16-h2.musical.ly
  • api2.musical.ly
  • log2.musical.ly
  • api2-21-h2.musical.ly

and see if that works for you.

There's a good article on that here: https://www.digitbin.com/block-tiktok-app-router/

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-09-19 03:58:08 - last edited 2021-09-19 05:05:21

Hey there terziyski, thank you for replying.

After searching the web for a few hours, I come to the conclusion that I doubt that this WiFi router can block TikTok mobile app.

Firstly my network setup: currently I'm running PiHole to process all DNS requests and Unbound. So all DNS request from PCs, tablets, cellphones has to go through PiHole. All devices uses static IP and assign PiHole IP for DNS.

Before I blocked TikTok and its related domains, I can see all Tiktok DNS request in the PiHole log, BUT once I blocked all TikTok and related domains from PiHole and wifi router, this happen:

* If I try to access TikTok from PCs, it will displayed in the PiHole log as being block. This works.PCs can no longer access TikTok. Blocking from C80 router also works.

* Now if I tried to access TikTok from mobile apps, even with blocking from wifi router and PiHole, it still goes through. And it no longer registered in the PiHole log.

Further search the web discussed that TikTok mobile app may be able to go DoH. I think this is the reason why it does not show in the log once it is blocked.

I believe a dedicated firewall unit is needed for this job.

But I like to hear from TPLink support response, maybe I missed something.

Options
2021-09-19 08:35:03

@Ben_Boxed 

I've never dealt in details with this particular case, but I believe your findings are correct.

If it comes to a dedicated firewall because of the DoH, I believe a dedicated FW with SSL filtering enabled, will do the job.

I hope you'll get your question answered - maybe @Kevin_Z can advise on this.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3732

Replies: 3

Related Articles