Why does my AP go through provisioning each time I start up and connect to my controller? (EAP620HD)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Why does my AP go through provisioning each time I start up and connect to my controller? (EAP620HD)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-18 04:53:02 - last edited 2021-09-22 07:26:05
Model: EAP620 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Each time I start up the controller on my Windows 10 PC and log in I will see the AP is going through provisioning and then connecting. Why is this, shouldn't the provision take place only after the AP is adopted on initial setup? I have a strange thing going on when this happens and I do not know why it is related. My Nvidia Shield (on a wired connection, not using this AP) will lose it's connection during provisioning. Not sure if this is a DHCP talking issue or what but I find it strange. 

Two more questions...

1) Why do I need see a option in the settings for the 160Hz channel? I only see 20/40/80.

2) Is there a way to disable the use of any DFS channels at all times? I see a option for Full Sector DFS and this settings leads me to believe there is times this AP may try to use DFS channels. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Why does my AP go through provisioning each time I start up and connect to my controller? (EAP620HD)
2021-09-23 18:52:44 - last edited 2021-09-23 18:55:34

@Chad711 

Hello and welcome, hopefully i can answer your questions

Each time I start up the controller on my Windows 10 PC and log in I will see the AP is going through provisioning and then connecting. Why is this, shouldn't the provision take place only after the AP is adopted on initial setup? I have a strange thing going on when this happens and I do not know why it is related. My Nvidia Shield (on a wired connection, not using this AP) will lose it's connection during provisioning. Not sure if this is a DHCP talking issue or what but I find it strange. 

Basically the Controller is designed to be online 24/7, this is required if you want roaming between APs.     Therefore when you shut down your PC and the controller is offline, the APs just continue to work, broadcast and operate as previously instructed.

When the PC boots and the controller loads, it will force a new fresh config on ALL the devices and this is what is happening.  During that you will lose connection, its expected.    The controller doesnt know what has been going on while it was offline so just forces the latest settings to everyone, that the cause.

Two more questions...

1) Why do I need see a option in the settings for the 160Hz channel? I only see 20/40/80.

The 620 is a 2x radios 5ghz (each 600mbps max, total 1200), as 600mbps can be achieved on 80mhz width it doesnt support / need 160mhz channel widths.    Faster APs in the 3000+ speeds will require the full 160mhz widths

2) Is there a way to disable the use of any DFS channels at all times? I see a option for Full Sector DFS and this settings leads me to believe there is times this AP may try to use DFS channels. 

The AP wont use DFS unless you select / tell it to do so.    Full Sector DFS just means its supports all the DFS channels and not "some of them".   If you don't set the AP to use DFS it wont use them, instead sticking to channels  36  40  44 and 48 (which are non DFS)

Options
Re:Why does my AP go through provisioning each time I start up and connect to my controller? (EAP620HD)
2021-09-23 19:53:40
Hi Philbert, Thanks for the help. Is this just how TPLink builds their AP's with this adopting/provisioning each time the Windows Controller reconnects? Reason I'm asking is I previously was using UniFi controller and AP's and the adopt/provision only took place on the initial setup. Which is what prompted my question I guess. Is it possible UniFi stores this controller config locally on the AP so it doesn't need to do this? Just curious. That said, my TP Link hardware controller and router showed up today so I will no longer need to use the windows controller so this will probably solve this issue for me going forward.
Options
2021-09-23 21:31:15

@Chad711 

Yeah just different ways of doing it, both unifi and omada keep a config on the APs once controller is down.   Its just how agressive the repushing of control is when the controller comes back online

As you say if you have the OC200 online now, issues solved :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 769

Replies: 3