IPv6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

IPv6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
IPv6
IPv6
2013-06-26 21:57:31
Region : Romania

Model : TL-WDR3500

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.31 Build 130320 Rel.54123n

ISP : RCS&RDS

The router does not obtain it's IPv6 address from the provider. The allocation is DHCP via IPv4 PPPoE. Under Openwrt on a TL-WR1043ND it works.
I tried all the combinations but nothing made the ipv4 and ipv6 to work in the same time. Is the any one that managed to make it?
Options
4 Reply
Re:IPv6
2013-06-27 23:18:02
I have a WDR3600 and the IPv6 does not work for Comcast Cable ISP in the US.

I have been helping TP-Link engineers find an answer by sending them Wireshark captures when I directly connect to my modem, bypassing the router.

I also find no IPv6 connection between my Windows 7 x64 computer and the router. So for my situation, IPv6 is a failure. I hope they get it fixed soon but I'm sure there are many more pressing issues. I don't know if a DD-WRT firmware fixes the IPv6 issue.
Options
2013-06-27 23:42:58

Wendel wrote

I hope they get it fixed soon but I'm sure there are many more pressing issues.

No, there is nobody capable to fix seriously the firmware bugs in this company...
Options
2013-09-06 12:23:58
Good news for those ho has internet provider Rcs-Rds. I figured out how to make the router Work with ipv6. On IPv6 the wan is set as tunnel 6to4 an the LAN as SLAAC. Now i have IPv6 working on lan and wan. Test result on Test-ipv6.com is 7/10
Options
2013-09-06 18:54:54

blakhawk23 wrote

Good news for those ho has internet provider Rcs-Rds. I figured out how to make the router Work with ipv6. On IPv6 the wan is set as tunnel 6to4 an the LAN as SLAAC. Now i have IPv6 working on lan and wan. Test result on Test-ipv6.com is 7/10

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?72313-IPv6-connection&region=china

Unfortunately tunnel6to4 is not a good choice. It's a kludge that is supposed to work around a limitation of your ISP. If your ISP supports IPv6 you should not have to use it. What you're doing is hiding IPv6 packets inside IPv4 packets then sending them to a remote node that can break them out and send them on their way properly. This introduces a third party into the equation so you're reliant on the remote host to perform the translation fast enough and in a secure manner. Additionally the IP addresse(s) you'll be using will belong to a third party rather than your ISP. It's a lousy way to host a server if that's your intent.

If you absolutely have to have an IPv6 connection to somewhere then tunnelling may be appropriate but if your intent is to be able to tick a box to say that you have full external IPv6 support from your network then it's not appropriate. This is why I really hope that TPLInk pull their finger out and fix this issue. As I noted in my thread - Windows 7 had zero problems getting a proper dual-stack connection with my ISP. I don't think TPLink should be claiming they are 'IPv6 ready' until they fix this. At least not in the UK and to be honest I bet most residential ISPs around the world are doing this. The alternative is two PPP sessions per user which is surely just a pain in the bum.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 808

Replies: 4

Related Articles