743ND - WAN-Port fried - possible to re-configure?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-16 02:54:14
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WR743ND

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

my 743ND v2, connected to a Ubiquity AirGrid M5, got its WAN port fried thanks to a power surge. Lightning struck our desolate Paraguayan power grid close to my location, and I guess the power surge went throught the PoE adaptor of the AirGrid into the WAN port of the 743ND.

So much for the background story. ;-)

Ethernet ports and Wifi work fine, just the WAN is dead.

Is there any way to tell the router to use one of the 4 ethernet ports as uplink instead of the dead WAN port?
Can't find such an option in the router administration, and the only hint I found on the web so far leads to a wildly experimental version of Open-WRT, which I would love to avoid...

thanks
Martin
Options
11 Reply
Re:743ND - WAN-Port fried - possible to re-configure?
2013-03-16 14:24:17
Try a hard reset for the router.
Options
2013-03-16 18:45:59

Miss Lucky wrote

Try a hard reset for the router.

Tried that, sure. Soft, hard, factory defaults, re-flashed firmware...
I am quite positive that the WAN port is physically gone, whatever I connect to it does not get any signal/connection, of course no LED on that port on the router, completely dead.

That's why I was looking for a way to make one of the four Ethernet ports the new WAN port - there are router firmwares that allow this, but not on this model.

Hence my question, if there is any trick to fool the original firmware into using one of those ports, or if a more flexible firmware from another model might do the trick on the 743ND
Options
2013-03-16 18:52:20
Hence my question, if there is any trick to fool the original firmware into using one of those ports, or if a more flexible firmware from another model might do the trick on the 743ND

No you can't.

How is your setting in tab "Operation Mode"?
Options
2013-03-16 19:03:19

jimasek wrote

No you can't.

How is your setting in tab "Operation Mode"?

Thanks - I guessed so... So will start fiddling around with Open-WRT (where you can use virtual ports that would do what I intend) or just use the router in Client Mode as an external Wifi-Card in our guest cabin.

So far I used it in normal router mode (not Wisp) and it worked perfectly until that nasty lightning came along, LOL

But don't break your back, guys, just wanted to know if there was some quick fix/workaround, I have de-bricked the old Zyxel that had been replaced by the TP-Link, so everything works fine here and the 743 will find a new job where it does not need its WAN port...
Options
2013-03-16 19:10:35
So will start fiddling around with Open-WRT

So, you can work with openwrt on this router, I recommend Gargoyle.
Options
2013-03-16 19:20:14

jimasek wrote

So, you can work with openwrt on this router, I recommend Gargoyle.

that is what I intended, because of the quota management etc..
unfortunately will have to wait a bit - the 743 v2 is only supported in latest trunk and not (yet) with Gargoyle.

Well - guess I will just use it for something else, hehe - I know that sort of technical stuff, but soldering serial cables into routers, making custom firmware builds and the like was more fun for me a couple of years ago... ;-)
Options
2013-03-16 19:33:23
Options
2013-03-16 19:39:08

jimasek wrote

ooops, overlooked that. I came across a thread on the Gargoyle forums where my model was discussed and they said it would take another couple of months...
Great! thanks for the link, will play with that version.
Options
2013-03-16 20:03:14
We waiting for reviews ;)
Options
2013-03-16 20:45:03

jimasek wrote

We waiting for reviews ;)

will do, once you teach me Polish ;-)
the image installed fine, but I have to admit my Polish is a bit rusty (I am a German Expat living in Paraguay and struggling to learn the local version of Spanish and the native Guarani, so the language part of my brain is totally messed up anyways... ;-) )
I did not find a menu entry to change the language - did I just not find it or should I hunt down a different .bin file that is in English (there is none for the 743 v2 in the official repository on http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php)?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1592

Replies: 11

Related Articles